advertisement

Step up transformer for low output MC

I do have an SUT for emergency use, but also have 3 different head amp's currently (none of them potted) :)

I doubt that anyone using a head amp would go back to using an SUT. That said, the two that are generally available in the UK - the Slee and Rothwell were my least favourite - musically fine, but both reasonably unengaging/pedestrian compared to the Japanese ones here, and the McKinnie.
The Pioneer HZ-1 is supposedly THE dog's bits, and they do come up occasionally - I really ought to splash the cash next time one does.

I have toyed with buying a Luxman, but I have Yamaha, Sony and Denon units here and they sound very similar, so my assumption has been that a Luxman will be similar again. I do wonder how many DIFFERENT head amp's they all represent - it is perhaps interesting that the Luxman says "customed by Lux Corp".

I ought to get the ones here side by side, get the lids off, and see what differences there are, if any.

I did have a recapped Pioneer and that sounded less to my likeing than the original untouched unit that is still here.

The Pioneer HZ-1 is a completely different build, no doubt internally based on similar principles and components, but does/did get rave reviews.

I also have Ortofon and Townshend items on the shelves, I’ve never got around to actually trying them as the McKinnie does it for me, LOL :)

I thought I would add my thoughts and experience with using a Hana ML with my Puresound T10 sut.

I have been using it for about three months on and off as I also have the Hana SL on my Genesis turntable, the SL works beautifully into the T10 low ratio 1-18 at 144ohms.
But I have come to the conclusion that the ML sounds way too hot as the Yank's say.
Too much gain and too bright.

I've tried it on the higher ratio at 1-36 at 36ohms, lower gain which is good but sounds a bit odd with what I swear sounds like the ringing phenomenon that I have read about with sut's.

So I'm not sure what to do now but I cannot continue with this step up with my ML.
Frustrating.

I thought I would add my thoughts and experience with using a Hana ML with my Puresound T10 sut.

I have been using it for about three months on and off as I also have the Hana SL on my Genesis turntable, the SL works beautifully into the T10 low ratio 1-18 at 144ohms.
But I have come to the conclusion that the ML sounds way too hot as the Yank's say.
Too much gain and too bright.

I've tried it on the higher ratio at 1-36 at 36ohms, lower gain which is good but sounds a bit odd with what I swear sounds like the ringing phenomenon that I have read about with sut's.

So I'm not sure what to do now but I cannot continue with this step up with my ML.
Frustrating.

Yeah the SL will work okay at that loading, but REALLY, REALLY start to sing at 400+ as the internal is 30 Ohms. Therefore your using at only 4.8x rather than the normal 10 - 12x internal.
As for the ML I found 100 - 123 Ohms was the ideal range for me.

This is the thing though it's not same with sut's as with active phono stages.
An active solid state which loads it at 100ohns .
The loading is different with sut's.
The SL I can assure you does sing into the lower ratio 1-18
But the ML is just way too hot into the same setting

I have a Hana ML having upgraded from a Hana SL The SL worked very well with a vintage Partridge 1:6 SUT I originally bought for a Denon DL103. Hana ML was not happy with this SUT so I went back to the supplier who sold me a Partridge 1:12 SUT this is a much better match. I've experimented with loading resistors on the output side of the SUT and have settled for 47K across the transformer output/ MM preamp input. The Preamp is a 2 valve unit from Guy Sargeant.
My supplier was dr-tron on ebay UK

I do have an SUT for emergency use, but also have 3 different head amp's currently (none of them potted) :)

I doubt that anyone using a head amp would go back to using an SUT. That said, the two that are generally available in the UK - the Slee and Rothwell were my least favourite - musically fine, but both reasonably unengaging/pedestrian compared to the Japanese ones here, and the McKinnie.
The Pioneer HZ-1 is supposedly THE dog's bits, and they do come up occasionally - I really ought to splash the cash next time one does.

Pardon my ignorance how is a head amp different from a step up transformer.... learning question. :)

Pardon my ignorance how is a head amp different from a step up transformer.... learning question. :)

No problem. Head amp's have never been common and are certainly less common now than they were 30/40 years or so ago.

An SUT is literally that - a transformer, so passive, "just" coils of wire, no power consumed/required.

The output from an SUT and head amp' are nominally the same. How they get there differs.

A head amp is active/powered and amplifies the output of an MC cart' to the level of an MM cart', so the signal then has to go to a MM stage to amplify further and provide RIAA correction.

Presumably head amp's fell from uncommon use to (very) rare when "cheap" MC phono stages appeared? They do everything in one go - MC to line level and RIAA.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back