advertisement

Steinway Lyngdorf - I challenge anyone to find a better sounding system

Tony, I can't quite see if that little box corrects in the time domain across the whole audible range as per the Tact and others.

For me the problem with full range digital correction is that it fundamentally changes the presentation. I always say it goes from "they are here" to "you are there". Great with Pulse Live but not so good with many multitracked modern recordings.

Still waiting to hear about the differences vis a vis Trinnov & Tact. Heard back yet Keith?

This is a state of the art digital system and works as a unit , not with the intention to drive other speakers. The digital power amps have active crossovers built in connected via cat5 from its digital control.
To be honest I spent most of my time listening and not investigating the technical aspects with the reason to write a review. I'll leave that to far more qualified individuals.

I think this is the problem with Lyngdorf you've got to have a 2+2 system to see what its really capable of, they seem to work well with dipoles, with subs supporting the lower frequencies, but they can be a pain to setup and get working right. I also think nearly any competent amplifier is going to sound good with large open baffle such as in the big system, i think you might be able to get close to the sound quality for much less cost, Jamo R909s and a TDAI 2200 (or big Dali Diapoles if you can find some) or maybe some Linkwitz Orions as an example.

Phil, apologies if you feel I've insulted anything.

I just know Peter personally. I've used the technology employed in this system (or it's forebears) extensively and demonstrated it at shows.

If you have a look on Google for a Tact RCS DD 2.2 system from say ten years ago you will see that the same modes of operation exist. My setup was bi amped with digital crossovers in the amps and also in the controller.

Back then Peter launched the Lyngdorf brand with David( Blade Audio) at Heathrow using Dali Skylines (Peter being the owner of Dali loudspeakers) IIRC. Impressive. Since then they have gone up market an into partnership with Steinway.

I have no doubt that there have been some improvements over the years but the basic topology and building blocks remain the same. The original concept came from Radomir Bozovic by the way with Peter funding the operation prior to a rather acrimonious (it seemed at the time) split.

Dr Bozovic continues to run Tact Labs and if you visit their site you will notice the similar system building blocks that he pioneered at the turn of the century.

Anyway, apologies if any offence caused. Just thought a bit of background might be useful and Gucci make some wonderful products (I am told!).

No not at all insulted, not as though I'll ever be in a position to own one. Just hope the tech will eventually filter down where us mere mortals
can afford. :)

I think a lot of original Tact/Lyngdorf owner felt a bit let down by the lack of progress and new models, digital monoblocks etc that were on the cards but never happened, of course all that progress, monoblocks etc, was pulled before launch for whatever reason, from that the Steinway system emerged.
Tact in the USA however have made progress and offer much more that Lyngdorf ever did at realistic prices (when the Lyngdorf was launched they where the best VFM in hifi, however everything has now doubled in price, ie hifi pricing!)
Its a shame the TacT gear isnt available in the UK.

A lot of the Lyngdorf equipment seems to have been discontinued including the brilliant TDA, so maybe they are going to launch some new equipment, or maybe it's no longer viable to make it.

I think a lot of original Tact/Lyngdorf owner felt a bit let down by the lack of progress and new models, digital monoblocks etc that were on the cards but never happened, of course all that progress, monoblocks etc, was pulled before launch for whatever reason, from that the Steinway system emerged.
Tact in the USA however have made progress and offer much more that Lyngdorf ever did at realistic prices (when the Lyngdorf was launched they where the best VFM in hifi, however everything has now doubled in price, ie hifi pricing!)
Its a shame the TacT gear isnt available in the UK.

A lot of the Lyngdorf equipment seems to have been discontinued including the brilliant TDA, so maybe they are going to launch some new equipment, or maybe it's no longer viable to make it.

I believe there is some new kit on the horizon... 6 months away ...possibly.

Four of us were able to hear a comparison between Gregs late model TACT 2.2 and the Trinnov, the sound with the tact in place sounded disconnected from the room, and the customer has spent five years with the Tact unit.
The Trinnov keeps the basic sound of the room, but just makes it sound better, technology moves on I guess.
Keith.

Four of us were able to hear a comparison between Gregs late model TACT 2.2 and the Trinnov, the sound with the tact in place sounded disconnected from the room, and the customer has spent five years with the Tact unit.
The Trinnov keeps the basic sound of the room, but just makes it sound better, technology moves on I guess.
Keith.

Technology does indeed move on Keith but that does not make it better! Analogue still rules even after 30 years of digital...

I’m sure this is a totally subjective thing.

For musicality my little Shahinians and middle of the line Naim olive system and LP12 could beat anything, anytime. Better than going to a concert. :)

Keith.

The technology seems to be pretty identical. It does not appear to have moved on in a decade from looking at the website.

The two key areas that seem to determine results are the correction algorithm and the expertise of the person performing the setup. The latter really does make or break IME.

If the Trinnov is preserving the character of the room, the algorithm's envelope must differ from the Tact's - whose goal is to remove the room's affect as much as possible.

I was wondering if you could provide us with some insight into how these two algorithms differ? The subjective response you gave earlier has just far too many variables to make it a truly valid comparison as I'm sure you would agree?

At it's best, the Tact is very very clever. One superb example was Pulse which was recorded using Q Sound. Given how the Tact corrected many of the phase errors produced by the listening room's walls, and how it time aligned the drive units, it was possible to sit in a tiny spare room and be transported to the concert venue with remarkable fidelity.

Well for starters the Trinnov uses a quad array of vertically spaced microphone capsules enabling to catch directivity information from the room as heard exactly at the listening point. I don't recall the Tact doing this, though I may be wrong.

The Lyngdorf allowed six separate mic positions to be used in the calculations. I would imagine the processing engine could use this information in the same way - whether it does or not I don't know.

Interestingly the separate measurements were in response to complaints with the original design that it only really worked for one specific listening position - which of course it did. Like turning everything into a pair of nearfield ESL57 !

The quad capsule mic is neat it allows the Trinnovto differentiate between direct and reflected sound, the Trinnov can do everything if you want FR, group delay, amount of first reflections ,phase, it60 time, it replaces some bass here too, we tried all the commercially available room correction available, Tact/Lyngdorf, Audiovolver, Deqx ,and for me the Trinnov was just streets ahead, Trinnov call the unit a 'room optimiser'.
Keith.

Keith,sounds interesting.

The Tact can differentiate between direct and reflected sound though - all room correction devices should be able to. Digital Room Correction usually refers to something that works in the time domain. Anything else would normally be referred to as a graphic or parametric EQ.

In order to identify direct sound, you simply feed in the distance to the drive units, then when taking measurements, any sound arriving after that time window is by definition reflected is it not?

Direct sound will always arrive before reflected and the distance to the loudspeaker will give you the time an impulse will take to arrive at the microphone.

I have to concur Phil the model D's are in a league of there own in my opinion.

I used to think the 800D's were pretty much the pinnacle of hi fi speakers and I've not heard anything quite as good since until I went to Gecko's and listened to the model D's.

They do struggle a bit with bass heavy tracks at high volume but will happily play most types of tracks and really shine with vocals and orchestral stuff.

Hi-Fi systems are so subjective and no one will ever fully agree but if my numbers come up I'll definitely be getting myself a set of Model D's! :D

advertisement

Back