advertisement

Static POPS on the LP12

RichardH

Bodging pleb
My LP12 seems to have gained a tendency to large static POPs (or at least they sound like static). These happen several times per side of vinyl.

It's an LP12 with Aro and Denon 103 cartridge, and DIY geddon fitted.

Not sure whether I have an earthing problem, or I just need to get the cleaning and antistatic sleeves going, but I don't recall it being that bad before.

I also wonder if it's to do with the cartridge - perhaps the plastic body has something to do with it? I seem to recall Sid and Coke mentioning his Denon picked up a lot of fluff, and mine certainly seems to do so.

I'm sure I have the earth from the DIY geddon connected correctly, and earthing in the same place as the previous earth was when the Valhalla was in place.

Thoughts?

Richard,
I've noticed with my LP12 the static pops tend to be worst at this time of year particularly as the air has been very dry recently. Combine that with the central heating being used for the first time after several months and you have ideal conditions for static. Some people recommend using a room humidifier, or failing that try a small dish with a piece of moist sponge to provide some moisture under the LP12 cover.

Good point! Trust me to suspect something was wrong. I recall Snowflake mentioning the dish trick a while ago, too.

You mentioning humidifiers reminds me of a joke - think it was a Stephen Wright one. Something along the lines of putting a humidifier and a dehumidifier in a room together and leaving them to fight it out...

My favourite Stephen Wright joke.....

I disturbed a burglar in my house last night - I said "there is no God".........

Rich
Sorry nowt to do with the thread!

...Thought that was Paul Merton - read an interview with him years ago where he used that one. Maybe he was quoting the fabulous S.W. I have a tape of SW live somewhere - great stuff.

advertisement

Back