advertisement

Starterish bass

I'm thinking of buying a bass too & Musicman is my fave, but don't know what I'm looking for deal/VFM wise... So what stands out about that one? Doesn't give any indication of Year? Are older ones better? I notice new ones for £1200 & used ones for £1800, so obviously a mine field.

ta

I don't know the whole story but in general the most valuable ones are the late 70's early 80's pre Ernie Ball Music Man basses, you will typically pay around £2K for these. I bought mine for £700 or so and it is a 1992 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray bass. I am very happy with it and would only swap it for a 5 string or another Wal. I think the 90's are the sweet spot VFM, a 70's one would be cool but too close to a deposit for a new Wal Fretless

More gratuitous bass pic posting:

DSCN1397_zpslwsixd4j.jpg

The bottom Wal really is superb. A stunning bass.

I know, sadly in a moment of madness a few years ago I sold it as it was not getting used after getting the 5 string. I cannot tell you how much I regret that decision :mad:

Yep, the G&L Tribute basses are superb - if you can find a lefty one then it should definitely be a contender.

I know, sadly in a moment of madness a few years ago I sold it as it was not getting used after getting the 5 string. I cannot tell you how much I regret that decision :mad:

I'm sure I've commented on this before, but it is striking just how Shergold in shape the original Wal basses are. Your old four string looks very much like a rather posher two pickup take on the Marathons I use:

4794260098_078486e4d2_o.jpg

I've always really fancied a Wal, but they seem crazy expensive these days.

I don't know the whole story but in general the most valuable ones are the late 70's early 80's pre Ernie Ball Music Man basses, you will typically pay around £2K for these. I bought mine for £700 or so and it is a 1992 Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray bass. I am very happy with it and would only swap it for a 5 string or another Wal. I think the 90's are the sweet spot VFM, a 70's one would be cool but too close to a deposit for a new Wal Fretless

More gratuitous bass pic posting:

DSCN1397_zpslwsixd4j.jpg

Thanks Gareth. That makes sense.

I plan to get round a few shops & try some out. I'm fiddling round on a little 3/4 chinese toy that I bought for the kids years ago. Far from ideal, but I'm starting from scratch, no plectrum, focusing on Finger picking. Trying to get to a certain level so when I start trying them out, I can appreciate the difference more.

Thanks all.

As has been mentioned I should try out the full fat American but it can be hard to figure out what is lacking with a non-American model. I have plenty of synths and recording stuff so I do understand that its best to get the right instrument as it can last a lifetime etc. Let me get playing and see what I hear and feel.

Thanks all.

As has been mentioned I should try out the full fat American but it can be hard to figure out what is lacking with a non-American model. I have plenty of synths and recording stuff so I do understand that its best to get the right instrument as it can last a lifetime etc. Let me get playing and see what I hear and feel.

The difference is a little in the components used but mainly in the assembly process. The MIM and Squier versions of Fender guitars/basses are made fast on a a production line with limited QC. If you are lucky or can pick from several you can get an great instrument at a a great price, the trouble is there are many that are less good. You can tweak them better but the assurance of a US made or custom shop instrument gives you much more security of purchase. They pick the components to be better and select woods/necks etc.

For what it's worth this is absolutely right. MIMs aren't too bad, but some of the neck joints on the Squiers are pretty shonky. Similarly they will be multi-piece bodies (though even new US Jazzes seem to be three piece bodies these days...)

The other good thing about buying a Jazz, by the way, is that you can upgrade the pickups, bridge, etc at any time because they're usually a standard size.

My favourite Wal story. A guy I played with when i was much younger had been saving for a Wal for what seemed like forever. Then finally that Friday came where, wages safely banked, he had enoguh to visit his local emporium and purchase much lusted after Wal.

He walks into the shop, slaps the money on the counter and the bloke says.... "It's your lucky day mate, we're closing down in a week you can two for the price of one as special closing down offer".

I don't think he stopped grinning for a month.

My favourite Wal story. A guy I played with when i was much younger had been saving for a Wal for what seemed like forever. Then finally that Friday came where, wages safely banked, he had enoguh to visit his local emporium and purchase much lusted after Wal.

He walks into the shop, slaps the money on the counter and the bloke says.... "It's your lucky day mate, we're closing down in a week you can two for the price of one as special closing down offer".

I don't think he stopped grinning for a month.

That's a bit off the Wal :)

Called in to PMT in Manchester yesterday, had a play on a MM Stingray. Very nice. They had Sterling SUBs there too. Really nice. At £300 an absolute bargain.

I just managed to resist. Few more weeks practice, so I can feel the difference better. Soon as I master "good times" full speed, no mistakes, I'll be back.

Actually, the SUB is that nice, probably just get one & keep as a spare if I got the MM later.

Vintage V1004 SP
Spalted maple body looks like you just gave two grand to a custom builder, through neck, balances loads better than a Fender, and sounds and plays great. I've had some nice basses in my time - Fernadez, Fender Jazz, Warwick bubinga fretless five string - and this is one of them...

Swapped mine for a (nice) banjo, but picked up the quilted maple V1004 for a couple of hundred off ebay for my son who switched to bass from violin on his music tech course. He ended the year with a distinction for his bass playing...

advertisement

Back