advertisement

Starling bank - anyone here bank with them?

JTC

PFM Villager...
I bank with Starling and up until now I've been pretty happy with them. I've also had a couple of their fixed savings products as well, with one of them due to mature in October. But suddenly, with no explanation, they've removed my ability to apply for further fixed rate savings products via their app. Apparently it's an 'eligibility' thing, which is fair, but they refuse to disclose what their criteria is. I've been a customer for a few years, use it regularly, have a joint account also, never overdrawn, always a decent balance held in their 'spaces' and in our accounts; I can't imagine any reason at all why they might decline to offer savings products to me. It all seems a bit weird to me.

I wondered if anyone else had had any problems with them, I'm beginning to doubt their integrity and trustworthiness as I believed that banks had to be totally transparent about stuff like this? However, despite asking via customer service etc., they keep being weirdly evasive, and my spidey senses start worrying about the money I do have with them and the various direct debits etc. we put through them if they're about to go dark on us for some reason they won't discuss.

I may be being a bit paranoid, but I was under the impression banks wanted your business, especially if you're looking to save rather than borrow? Or am I being old-fashioned about this?

Maybe they think you have your fill with them? Can’t comment on personal products but use for business banking. First class, faultless.

Can't really see why? They accept cash on deposit up to £1M which more than covers my modest needs!!!

I find them to be super efficient. They were the only bank that were receptive to new customers in the early stages of COVID.

I can only imagine this is a situation where they are offering their best savings deals to new customers. If so it’s irritating but not uncommon in other sectors where loyalty doesn’t count for anything.

Reactions: JTC
I had a transfer problem with them once. They treated me like a criminal for about a week. Then all was normal again. I have a business and personal account with them and the business one is split into a euro and Sterling account. It's pretty good but you can't get them to be human if you don't fit the current regime it seems to me. You just get blanked.

Funnily enough I cancelled my Starling Account(s) this morning..

I had three accounts that I have used for my kids for a few years, one of them has just turned 13, and she wanted to have Apple pay on her phone - starling don’t do it! (no idea why?!) so I have moved all my kids banking to another bank so that they can.

! Got to keep up with technology Starling!

I had a transfer problem with them once. They treated me like a criminal for about a week. Then all was normal again. I have a business and personal account with them and the business one is split into a euro and Sterling account. It's pretty good but you can't get them to be human if you don't fit the current regime it seems to me. You just get blanked.

I was watching something on television about this the other day. It seems to be a common problem with the new Internet-only banks. They operate smoothly if all is going well, but if you hit a problem you'll often end up tearing your hair our trying to get a resolution.

Hi, yes a lot of Bad news storey's , about Revolut, an internet bank only,
These banks do not have to give you your money back if you have been scammed, and they don't,

Hi, yes a lot of Bad news storey's , about Revolut, an internet bank only,
These banks do not have to give you your money back if you have been scammed, and they don't,
Revolut is NOT registered as a bank in the U.K.
Unless you are in the EU, where it is, don’t touch it with a barge pole.

and she wanted to have Apple pay on her phone - starling don’t do it! (no idea why?!) so I have moved all my kids banking to another bank so that they can.
We’ve had the same issue with Santander. No contactless either. All transactions must use a PIN. Where did you end up?

OP: why not use the switch service and get some free cash (~£175) for doing it?

We’ve had the same issue with Santander. No contactless either. All transactions must use a PIN. Where did you end up?

I ended up going to Go Henry. I don’t like having to pay for banking, but theres a £10 option for upto 4 children’s accounts, and I have four, so £2.50 a month is okay.

re Santander. A short time ago I got Interent Banking from them but find logging into and moving around the web bank unstable, I keep on being sent back to login in again. Any one else have this experience.?

Tempted but other than this blip I have been very happy with them.

I have a sole trader business account. I opened two months ago and they were a pain in the backside on opening. I only persevered because my wife has been happy with them. Only been self employed for two months with no transactions yet so can’t comment on them

advertisement

Back