advertisement

Staple gun

johnny nocash

pfm Member
Hi fishies, can anyone recommend (from experience) a staple gun to fix a stair runner to wooden floor?
Good but cheap as it’s a one off job, cheers

I’ve found Amazon Basics very good for cheap stuff. This one looks pretty much identical to a Draper one I’ve owned for decades and has worked flawlessly. I prefer buying Amazon branded kit to no-name stuff as there’s comeback if it is crap or dangerous; if its gotthdir name on it you can sue them if it hurts you. They know this so none of their branded stuff is bad IMO.

Amazon Basics staple gun.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not sure Tony's suggestion is beefy enough for a carpet. I'd hire or borrow an air stapler. If you are near NW London I'll lend you mine.

Cheers Tony, did you use for carpets?

Mine isn’t identical, it is a very similar looking Draper-branded model I’ve had for about 20 years or more. It has done everything I’ve attempted with it, though a lot is down to using the right type of staples. There are different lengths and thicknesses. I don’t think I’ve done carpet, but I’m sure it would with the longer, thicker staples and the spring cranked a bit (knob on the top). I’ve used it for speaker grilles, guitar amp tolex etc. It can certainly stick a staple all the way into wood/plywood, and that is the hard bit, not the carpet (assuming the staple is long enough).

A bit of a sideways thought. I used an electric nail gun for attaching large wooden beeding to the edges of solid wood. Very cheap and up to the job, making it very quick and easy.

On that experience why not an electric staple gun?

Amazon uk

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A bit of a sideways thought. I used an electric nail gun for attaching large wooden beeding to the edges of solid wood. Very cheap and up to the job, making it very quick and easy.

On that experience why not an electric staple gun?

Amazon uk

we used one of those on our stair runner.

We also have one of those manual ones recommended earlier, but they are hard of your hands and wrists.

I've used a basic one almost identical to the one linked on amazon to secure loose bits of carpet on our stairs - I think I got mine from screwfix years ago. Worked absolutely fine as long as you have staples of the required length. It will leave some 'depressions' in the pile - you may be able to reduce these if you can be bothered to tease some trapped fibres back out a bit from under the staple.

It will depend on the thickness of your runners and underlay. I did ours last year using an air stapler with narrow crown staples, (think around 25mm long), did a good job, quite easy to use and saved around £2k on installation costs.

They used to sell a cheaper one which was fine.

I think mine is like this Stanley but it's 10 years old. I've used it for carpet and a bit of upholsetery. Big discount at Amazon

I think mine is like this Stanley but it's 10 years old. I've used it for carpet and a bit of upholsetery. Big discount at Amazon
That's the one I've got. It does an excellent job IMO, and was an absolute blessing when the felt blew off the top of our garden shed the other week. It was a bit hard on the hands at the end, but by then I'd used four rows of staples, through two layers of extra-thick felt. I've had a bit of a yen for a powered version (Bosch do one that'll take the batteries I use in my other power tools) but it's a bit pricey for the relatively small use I'd put it to.

I have both an Amazon spring loaded one like the model referred to up top and an electric one From screwfix.
I bought the electric one when the spring loaded wasn’t up to a reupholstering job.

I have an air one that also does nails. But for a small job like this a set of staples and a small hammer would do it. The easiest way to hold a staple or a small nail is to push it through a small length of cardboard, hold the other end and then hammer it in, it keeps your fingers clear. Just pull the cardboard away once it is firmly started, or even bash it home and pull it off then.

The notion of buying a £70 tool to do a 5 minute job is for the birds, just give a carpet fitter the price of a round of drinks and have it done properly and in no time.

advertisement

Back