advertisement

Stands for B&W DM2

BTC3

pfm Member
I recently inherited a pair of these speakers from my parents, who had been using them as side tables for the last 20 odd years...
Unfortunately the floor in my study - where they now happily reside - is rather uneven, so I can't put them directly on the floor. It's an old wooden floor supported on some rather old beams, so I'm not sure I'd want them directly on the floor anyway. My previous speakers (Neat Motive2s) were made level with some granite plinths and some clever use of adjustable spikes. These DM2s have no spikes, and are a lot bigger than the granite I used for the Neats. Any recommendations on what I could use to raise them off the ground by no more than 10", and somehow tilt to bring them to horizontal?

Don’t think they’re mk2

542511_D6_2825_43_A3_8_A27_CF1_F4_B3_C6150.jpg

C5358715_76_EA_4_ED3_97_A0_36453_B277_F3_B.jpg

What you have there are DM/2A (note the 'A' printed after the serial number). The original DM/2 had the tweeter (upper mid-frequency unit according to B&W) and super tweeter positioned side by side, rather than one below the other.

B&W offered two floor stands (one a plinth really) and a wall mount option. See page 4 in the B&W DM2/A manual here. If you fancy a bit of DIY, the angled back plinth may offer a less visually intrusive solution that still gets the mids and tweeters firing up toward a seated listener. You could always fit such with T-nuts and screw adjustable Nylon pads or spikes to accommodate uneven flooring.

Do note that these were intended for near back wall or corner placement. The manual is quite informative wrt positioning for best response.

P.S. The spec sheet here should give you a good idea of what the DM/2A looks like on the plinths. You'll also notice just how well built a box they are from the cut-away diagram.

Last edited:
Craig,
Thank you for this wonderful information, and the links. I’m now looking at getting some some plinth style stands that will provide the correct angle. Might see about some acoustic foam ones...

Thank you again for your time and patience finding this information.

Ps
Should add that I’d found the placement near the corners to be a good idea (trial and error, rather than planned). They’re about 30cm from rear wall, about 50cm from the side, about 3m centre to centre of the speakers, with me about 4m from the speakers.

How do they sound?
Have you anything to compare them to?
I ask because I had a pair of these over 40 years ago as my first upgrade to my original budget system. In those days reviewers such as those in HiFi News said you should spend most of your budget on the speakers "because they make the sound you'll be listening to"!
We later became used to the "source first" and "amplifiers DON'T all sound the same" philosophy espoused by the "golden eared" reviewers in the new generation of hifi magazines.
Ever since I sold my DM2s, and having since traded up to far better source and amplifier, I've always wondered what they would have sounded like on the end of my current system.

How do they sound? To me? In a word, fantastic. In two words, absolutely fantastic.
My parents never mistreated them, never ran them too loud, so they're in good nick. Soundwise, in my room, with my setup, it's hit exactly the spot that I wanted: highs, mids, lows are crystal clear, full... the overall sound is rich and resonant (this last in a good way), that I have been looking for. My setup has gone from a Denon AV amp and some old B&W 601s, to those speakers and a Rega Brio R, to that amp with some Neat Motive 2, to those speakers and a Rotel 1552mk2 power amp (connected to a Cambridge Audio DAC that takes the role of pre-amp; it's the only source). These last two speaker and amp combinations have lasted about two years each, neither 100% satisfactory, always a bit lacking in the bass department. From the moment I connected the DM2s, the sound was a lot richer, it filled the gap I felt from the previous combinations.
Following the advice in the manuals that Craig B linked to, I've now got some plinths that raise them about 6ish inches off the floor and tilt them back the stated 9degrees. I set this up in the last couple of hours, and the difference in sound was immediate, for the better. I won't say that my quest for audio nirvana is now done, but I am blissfully happy at the moment.
I am wondering about finding another rotel power amp to give bi-amping a go, for no reason other than kicks and giggles, but I think how much I am enjoying the sound coming out of the speakers at the moment will put that on ice for a while.

Sorry for the lack of technical description regarding how they sound. I just know they have hit the spot I was looking for across a combination of spoken word (I'm editing some video voice overs at the moment), metal, classical, jazz, and some electronica (Oxygene never sounded so good to me!).

Well I scratched that itch at the weekend and have my "new" DM2s in the workshop waiting for a bit of cosmetic tarting up.
First impressions were of a very tight, well controlled bass, maybe a bit light so may well benefit from wall/corner placement.
They look even bigger than I remember so I must find a way to accomodate them without making them even bigger on top of stands.
I'm taken by the idea of the floor plinths and wonder what height yours are front and back between speaker and floor?

The PLS/2 plinths that were offered by B&W are described on page 4 of the DM/2A manual, linked to above. Note that these were corner braced and designed to be screwed to the bottoms of the speaker enclosures and had four hard metal dome feet.

What we know are the maximum (90°) and minimum (9°) interior angles and the length of the hypotenuse (aka the cabinet depth, rounded down to 13" here and equivalent to the 90° interior angle).

So, with a remaining interior angle of 81° (i.e. 180 - (90 + 9) ) the side opposite is 12.84" in length. If we assume a thickness of 1.75" at the back, then the height of the front of the plinth is 3.75" (actual 2" for the length of the side opposite the 9° interior angle, plus whatever height you choose to have at the back).

Last edited:
Thanks for doing the geometry for me!

I thought they would be higher but, having looked at the links you provided to B&W original brochure & manual it does appear to be quite shallow so your figures of 1.75" at the back and 3.75" at the front is probably about right.
My woodworking skills might be able to cope with that once I've smartened the speakers up a bit!

Thanks

Hi @peterm sorry for the late reply.
I think Craig has given you the key information. A quick fix might be what I put together:
I have a granite plinth about 1" tall on the floor, wedged to give me a level base. Then an Auralex pad (the XL version) which provides a near as works for me 9 degree tilt (I think it may be 8 degrees). No woodworking involved (no time!). and sturdy enough. Also temporary enough that I can dispose of it easily, or replace/reuse as needed.

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

Note that in the last picture, the foam of the Auralex is not bowing, it's cut like that!

Thanks for that!

I'll try a similar "temporary" fix before undertaking any woodwork.
Did you find that amount of elevation/tilt made a significant difference?

Peter

Thanks for doing the geometry for me!

No worries, I often jump at the chance to exercise those lesser used Pathagorean corners of my dusty old brain.

BTC3's solution certainly looks a good 'un.

Craig

Last edited:
Peter - absolutely, yes, made a (for me) positive change. To my ears the highs were less shrill, and better balanced with the base.

The “temporary” fix cost me about £60ish (I had the granite already, but got that on eBay from an ornamental mason, for about £20 a few years ago). I think it’s re-usable, or should be easy enough to re-sell if I change.
Good luck!

advertisement

Back