advertisement

Standmounts for Music and TV

Paulq2

pfm Member
I have managed to re-arrange my lounge to the point where I can accommodate speaker stands on either side of the TV, which I am over the moon about. Previously all I had was a pair of (excellent) Dali Spektors sat on the TV cabinet. Not poor but a compromise.

I am looking for a pair of decent standmounts for TV sound but principally music in a 14x12 room. I experimented with the Quad Z1s I have in my main system and they sounded fantastic but just look too big so I need something smaller (but not small) that will do the job. Not too coloured and not too bright (no pressure then) and have been thinking about:

Monitor Audio Gold 100 5G (s/h)
Revel M106
Quad S2

They'll be on the end of a Cambridge Evo 75.

I listen to a variety of music, everything from rock to ambient to prog to classical. I want the sound to be sufficiently full bass-wise without being overblown and am aware that one of the main variables will be room interaction, so just looking for ideas to demo really.

Budget up to about £1k with a stretch to £1.5k for mind blowers.

Thanks.

I recently sold my Russell K Black 50's - I used them as you intend (on Custom Design FS 104 stands) and they were brilliant. 'Upgraded' them to PMC Prodigy 5 and only just prefer the PMC's. In fact I sort of regret selling and might buy some in future. Second hand values are way below the likes of Proac or Harbeth so a no-brainer, although I appreciate your need to demo. I'm one of those take a chance punters personally.

The Penaudio Cenyas in the classified strike me as a bargain at £1k

I’ve always used a pair of Ruark sabre 3’s. Sound great for both hifi and tv, they look beautiful too. I’ve got a pair in the loft!

I use Dali Mentor Menuet SEs. They are compact and sound brilliant in my main system .... I am using a Rel T5 too though. I use mine with a Luxman SQ150 but suspect they would work well with the Cambrjidge Evo.

I have my TV wired to can amp/pre-amp on line 0uts. I've recently bought a cheap amp (Auna) and butchered some cheapo speakers to fit the TV table. I now have line outs to amp and Virgin box above with two swivelling spkrs to fit within the width of the TV (as I move it all away for listening sessions. Works well and so much better than TV's own spkrs; I wanted clarity and remote access. Haven't listened to dramas etc on cans for weeks.

Unfortunately, whereas I watch TV daily, I listen to music weekly and it's a faff firing everything up. Can't suggest suitable spkrs because I'm not sure if they'll be your mains or simply TV use spkrs.

these are worth a look

Anyone heard the MA Gold 100 5G? At the moment those and the Quad S2 are probably the ones I am most interested in but appreciate the other suggestions.

I owned a pair of S2s before the Z1s and they are pretty impressive for the money. I do think the MAs may be better still and they do look fantastic in ebony.

advertisement

Back