advertisement

Standmount Recommendations

I have had a pair of the littlest Harbeths for many years, they're worth a listen. I have often wondered about some small active speakers like Genelecs.

If you can't fit the AN-Js in, do try K series or AX2 if possible. Such a natural sound from them all. Advantage in a small room in particular is they work well close to walls/corners, if that's useful.

Complete contrast to the ProAc D2s I had which needed quite a lot of space around them to not boom. Room-dependent perhaps and YMMV. Otherwise, yes, gorgeous sounding speakers.

I came close to getting some Arrete R1s off eBay but in the end their visual look put me off. Not that they're ugly or owt. From what I understand cracking highly resolving, musical speakers.

Never considered the Harbeth. Would they be able to do the whole gamut... from rock to orchestral to metal to acoustic to EDM etc? Thanks
I've never actually owned a Harbeth speaker, I just love how they sound everytime I hear them.

From what I've read I only think their 40.2/3, model has enough bass to deliver rock/metal with impact. If you don't mind buying second hand 40.2 models come up occasionally for circa £5k.

Graham audio seem to be similar speakers but I haven't heard them either.

I've always liked kef speakers so a Reference 1, would be on my list too.

I used to own audiovector speakers and they would probably be my first choice. They don't have the bass impact of dynaudio speakers but they are neutral and sound very "fast / light on their feet". Is a floorstander out the question?

I think you at least deserve to listen to a pair in person before discounting them completely.

Sorry for the hijack, but seems as appropriate as anywhere.

Since getting Proac Tab 8 Sigs I've been looking to get up the ladder. Guess DB1 is the natural path, do the D2's just add bass or something extra?

Has anyone compared directly the dome and ribbon tweeter? The floorstanding D20r seems common on ebay while the standmounts are rare?

I'm going to make a wild card suggestion here, how do you feel about DIY speakers particularly these ones.

These are my current speakers that I've used for the last 8 years or so. The drivers and crossover components costs £3,362, plus VAT and postage. You would then need to construct the cabinet and assemble everything yourself.

I've recently looked into larger speakers, but the people on DIYaudio forum tells me that the drivers are still one of the best drivers on the market and to purchase.

I would say they would be on par with speakers in the £15-£20k mark. They are very detailed, low distortion and can go loud with ease / louder than you think without knowing. Recent changes upstream have made me appreciated them even more now.

Sorry for the hijack, but seems as appropriate as anywhere.

Since getting Proac Tab 8 Sigs I've been looking to get up the ladder. Guess DB1 is the natural path, do the D2's just add bass or something extra?

Has anyone compared directly the dome and ribbon tweeter? The floorstanding D20r seems common on ebay while the standmounts are rare?
I've only heard the DB1 but I can't imagine it being a massive step up from the Tab 8. The DB1 suits my room and I'm not a bass freak but I imagine if you've got a room big enough to take the D20, it would fill the room better. I think the ribbon/dome queston is just down to personal taste, I've read people expressing preferences for both. I believe the dome in the D20 is the same as the DB1, if so the ribbon must be bloody good if it's better. What's the rest of the system?

Cheers BB

Amphion Argon 3S with a passive radiator are great and can be used closer to a rear wall. The room will decide which is best for you, but a home demo is essential

My current room is 4m x 2.85m. Speakers on long wall. Currently Audio Physic Tempo 35 are sounding beautiful in there. My old room was 2.4m square and I had various large speakers in there successfully. Funnily enough, Proac 1SC was one that absolutely didn’t work. It was the only stand-mount I tried. All the floor standers were fine in their different ways

My current room is 4m x 2.85m. Speakers on long wall. Currently Audio Physic Tempo 35 are sounding beautiful in there. My old room was 2.4m square and I had various large speakers in there successfully. Funnily enough, Proac 1SC was one that absolutely didn’t work. It was the only stand-mount I tried. All the floor standers were fine in their different ways

A 2.4 square metre room is really tiny - more of a cupboard really, at about 1.6m in length/width...

Some ProAc Tabs (pre 10) were ported, but the 10 is/was a sealed design IIRC, while the DB series is (rear) ported. The 1SC/DB1 has more grunt than a Tab in general, and you need more leeway to get it away from the wall a bit. Important not to confuse them with PMC's older, and smaller DB1 speaker btw....

ProAc DB1s work extremely well for me firing across a 4.5m x 2.5m room. Haven't tried them, but I suspect 2s would risk being a little overwhelming.

It is important to get the stands right, whatever you're using. I and many other ProAc users swear by the ultra-heavy Target R series, which are sadly no longer available new in the UK.

The other classic standmount in this context would be KEF LS50s, which by dint of the removable bungs give quite a lot of range for tweaking. Really exceptional in the right circumstances.

Some off-kilter designs that are meant to be bang up against the wall (on the long wall) are swedish Larsen loudspeakers (continuing the defunct Sonab ideas). Not a speaker that measures well in any sense or sounds like most hi-fi speakers but perhaps worth a look in this small-ish rectangular room? Although not sure if there is any demo of these in the UK.

Gotta mention ATC scm 7 or 11

I've been tempted by some ATCs for a while, this chap has had a lot of high end speakers in a raves about them. Seem like exceptional value for money. Just emailed about a pair of ex-dems!

If you can't fit the AN-Js in, do try K series or AX2 if possible. Such a natural sound from them all. Advantage in a small room in particular is they work well close to walls/corners, if that's useful.

Complete contrast to the ProAc D2s I had which needed quite a lot of space around them to not boom. Room-dependent perhaps and YMMV. Otherwise, yes, gorgeous sounding speakers.

Interesting on the D2. The Dynaudios I had, according to measurements, put out more bass then the D2. But I guess how they're designed can change things. Guess they only way I'll know is by trying.

Thanks, will add AN to the "research" list.

I've never actually owned a Harbeth speaker, I just love how they sound everytime I hear them.

From what I've read I only think their 40.2/3, model has enough bass to deliver rock/metal with impact. If you don't mind buying second hand 40.2 models come up occasionally for circa £5k.

Graham audio seem to be similar speakers but I haven't heard them either.

I've always liked kef speakers so a Reference 1, would be on my list too.

I used to own audiovector speakers and they would probably be my first choice. They don't have the bass impact of dynaudio speakers but they are neutral and sound very "fast / light on their feet". Is a floorstander out the question?

I think you at least deserve to listen to a pair in person before discounting them completely.

I've never been able to get on with the KEF sound, the LSX and non-meta LS50. Nice enough, but didn't really move me in any way. But I the R1 is a whole other beast. Those Harbeths look great but a wee bit too big phyiscally. Thanks

I'm going to make a wild card suggestion here, how do you feel about DIY speakers particularly these ones.

These are my current speakers that I've used for the last 8 years or so. The drivers and crossover components costs £3,362, plus VAT and postage. You would then need to construct the cabinet and assemble everything yourself.

I've recently looked into larger speakers, but the people on DIYaudio forum tells me that the drivers are still one of the best drivers on the market and to purchase.

I would say they would be on par with speakers in the £15-£20k mark. They are very detailed, low distortion and can go loud with ease / louder than you think without knowing. Recent changes upstream have made me appreciated them even more now.

There's so many great DIY options now. I did consider CSS and GK which seem like amazing value for money but, TBH, DIY is not for me ATM. Maybe when I'm retired. Like you say, it's a great way to get incredible value.

These look great. Added to the list, thanks. Rooms are weird things!

Some off-kilter designs that are meant to be bang up against the wall (on the long wall) are swedish Larsen loudspeakers (continuing the defunct Sonab ideas). Not a speaker that measures well in any sense or sounds like most hi-fi speakers but perhaps worth a look in this small-ish rectangular room? Although not sure if there is any demo of these in the UK.

Always been curious about these. How would you describe the imaging compared to regular 2-way standmounts? Cheers all! Crazy how much choice there is.

I've been tempted by some ATCs for a while, this chap has had a lot of high end speakers in a raves about them. Seem like exceptional value for money. Just emailed about a pair of ex-dems!

Interesting on the D2. The Dynaudios I had, according to measurements, put out more bass then the D2. But I guess how they're designed can change things. Guess they only way I'll know is by trying.

Thanks, will add AN to the "research" list.

I've never been able to get on with the KEF sound, the LSX and non-meta LS50. Nice enough, but didn't really move me in any way. But I the R1 is a whole other beast. Those Harbeths look great but a wee bit too big phyiscally. Thanks

There's so many great DIY options now. I did consider CSS and GK which seem like amazing value for money but, TBH, DIY is not for me ATM. Maybe when I'm retired. Like you say, it's a great way to get incredible value.

These look great. Added to the list, thanks. Rooms are weird things!

Always been curious about these. How would you describe the imaging compared to regular 2-way standmounts? Cheers all! Crazy how much choice there is.

I’ve had theee pairs of scm11’s , just keep coming back to them as they sound so right. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Well consider yourself lucky you didn't go for the Trenner&Friedl jobs which I'm pretty sure would have completely overwhelmed your room. The sound is just massive!

Only listened very briefly in a hifi-shop here in Denmark so my impressions won't be worth much. They just popped up in my mind after seeing your room dimensions. Do a bit of reading yourself and see if a dealer is nearby. They won't have that pin-point imaging that many of us associate with typical hi-fi speakers.

Speaking of ATC, I used to run a pair of passive SCM19 (newest version) with their SIA2-150 amp. That Super-Linear driver is very revealing of recording and upstream gear. YT reviewer A British Audiophile has a review of these (along with the active 19A and also Neat Petite) - and his long-term reference has been ProAc 1SC's.

By the way - your current Neat + KC62 combo (had that sub too with a pair of LS50WII) seems very sweet? Seems many suggestions here will be a lateral move to something different rather than decidedly "better" - assuming your current setup works well in the room?

By the way - your current Neat + KC62 combo (had that sub too with a pair of LS50WII) seems very sweet? Seems many suggestions here will be a lateral move to something different rather than decidedly "better" - assuming your current setup works well in the room?

If I'm being honest, if I was told I had to live with this set-up the rest of my life I wouldn't be too sad. It's a cracking little set-up.

This is mainly an exploration in curiosity and I have a bit of spare cash to indulge that. Boys toys and all that.

It's fair point you make about lateral moves. I'm trying to pick speakers that are either on a level but offer:

- Something different. The DB1, for example, is supposed to have a warmer more palpable midrange (Neat's have a nice pure midrange, that I'd describe a neutral).

- And/or looking up the ladder. My experience with the Dynaudio Heritage Specials showed me I can spend more and get better performance, but not guaranteed of course. They did some things the Neats just can't do though the Neats were a more rounded performer, albeit it a slightly lower level.

One day I may settle in on a system but for the next few years I'm having fun exploring.

Interesting topic as I’m also running Neat Petite in a similar small room (previously had Spendor A6, ATC 20T, PMC gb1i, Martin Logan 35xti, Definitive Technology D11 and D9 and some others). Moved the main system from around 30sq m. room shared with a family to a dedicated for audio 8sq m. Never listen to those saying that room is the most important factor :). Interested to try new Rogers ls 3/5 SE with that exotic material front panel. Also new Tannoy 10” SGM look tempting, maybe they will have a demo at the upcoming show. Also Wharfedale new 3-way Super Dentons caught my attention recently.

advertisement

Back