advertisement

Standmount alternative to Shahinian Arc?

Uzinusa

Happy Chappy
What a lovely pair of speakers I have, they've really completed my system (although I've yet to build my HackerNaps but will do so in the next month or so). The Arcs sound fantastic when driven from Mac/Young through Starfish/NCC200, and deliver beyond my expectation. They're in mint condition, but Mrs Uz hates them and I'm tired of reasoning and am going to actively look for a stand mount alternative.

In the spirit of the forum, I though my pain should be your pain :). I need to find a stand mount alternative. My criteria are something that sounds fantastic, that will tolerate being close to the rear wall, good looking (i know it's subjective), second hand, and that can be had for what I will get for the Arcs when I have to, sob, sell, sob, them ...

I'd appreciate you personal experience but was thinking of looking at Proac, ATC, old Snell etc.
Ta folks.
Andy

EDIT: Pete MB&D didn't make me feel any better by only last night coming round and waxing lyrical on the present speakers.

Hi, so what vintage are they, how much ate they worth in you opinion?
Wilson Benesch Discos are real good. S/H from about £2500.

They have that big room filling sound which you may miss with smaller speakers.

In the spirit of the forum, I though my pain should be your pain

As a present Shahinian Arc owner - I feel your pain. I would hate to have to part with mine.

In terms of a replacement stand mounter, I would look at trying to get a pair of s/h ProAc 1SC with Target R series stands. I had these prior to getting the Shahinians and if I were forced into giving the Arcs up, that is where I would go.

Best of luck!

Lefty

Hi Spacey, they're the 2nd or 3rd version of the Arc from the late 1990's. They're worth about half what the Discos would cost. I agree I'll miss the room filling ability.

Lefty, sorry mate :). I'll look at the 1SC, was thinking response 2D but only based on reviews/comments and have heard neither.

The Response D2 is definitely worth checking out too, although again budget for good stands.

Lefty

Compasses are much more wife friendly, look smaller than they are etc.
Or a pair of Super Elfs on the IKEA cradles firing upward?
Wife friendly depends on your room and it's decoration I would think.
Retro - Gales
Modern - Gallo

Has anyone heard those Super Elfs? Are they much different to a regular shoebox firing upwards? They look nice at least.

Kibri Naima's ?

ooo, they're new (to me).

Everyone who made me laugh ... perfect!

M22 , yes they look interesting.
Compass, yes, i do have opportunity to try some at home.
Gale, ooo yea i love those chrome-ended side-on ones...401?

If you really like the Arcs then show her some really fow looking alternatives. Horns perhaps and say look what I've found, with a manic enthusiastic look. Also get some lit on the outrageous alternatives. Any suggestions lads?

Sent from my mobile, excuse all typos

If you really like the Arcs then show her some really fow looking alternatives. Horns perhaps and say look what I've found, with a manic enthusiastic look. Also get some lit on the outrageous alternatives. Any suggestions lads?

Now that's a good plan.....

Thats effectively what I did!

SWMBO finally tired of my bookshelves on stands and was almost begging me to replace them. So I started with some lovely Quad 57 and others of their ilk all to no avail. So I asked her what she would like and she chose some rather 'modern' looking tat. From there it was easy and showed her the shahinian range and then I picked on the Obs. They are light oak that matches our flooring, they are this high (with a meter rule) and the killer they are on castors so can be moved to dust behind.

I bought my first pair from a PFMer and as he carried the first one through the doorway SWMBO said 'neat'.

Psychology ..........

Cheers,

DV

If old Snells are still of interest .... I'm very pleased with my J/IIs. Even less than ideally situated (on a console on either side of the tv rather than on proper stands) and driven by a Nait 5i (which I've never seen recommended as a good match), they provide wonderful, room-filling sound.

advertisement

Back