advertisement

Stan Getz reccomendations please

Anderzander

Grateful Bodger
The extent of my knowledge of Jazz is small - all I really know is that I like the lyrical stuff like 'kind of blue'. Pretty conservative I guess.

I've been told Stan Getz is probably the man for me next - can anyone recommend an album?

Or other artists in a similar ilk?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Stephen

I've only got the Getz/Gilberto ones, but they're very good.

You can also try Sonny Clark (I like 'Cool Struttin'') and also the first Herbie Hancock ones ('Maiden Voyage' and 'Empyrean Isle').

If Preston has a Fopp, keep popping in there - they are really good at turning up stuff from the late 50s and early 60s for a fiver a go. On CD. I honestly don't think it's possible to go wrong if you want melodic and stick to 1958 to 1962, although I'm sure SSB will be able to prove me wrong on this.

Thanks Alex and Rod - great stuff.

The nearest Fopp is in Manchester, Brown Street. Tony? where about is that?

Not sure what's available on CD but as Alex sayz the getz/gilberto stuff is excellent - also worth looking out for is:

"Jazz Samba" - Getz and Charlie Byrd
Getz with Laurindo Almeida - more latin/samba stuff
"At the Shrine" - really good live set

Simon

Fopp in Manchester:
imagine you're at Boots with Marks and Spencer behind you, keep walking towards Picadilly Gardens, there are a couple of streets that lead off to the right, Fop is on one of those

Anderzander, I recently got hold of several of the original Verve's and would second the 2 Getz/Gilberto's. The one that really sticks out for me though is the 1956 "The Steamer". A wonderful record, give it a try.

Cheers
Carl

Are you talking LP's or CD's? Jazz CD's are incredibly good value. LP’s can be but some are getting pricey. As a vinyl buyer, I am having to pay more but there are still some bargains out there. All the above-mentioned albums are great but there are also many Stan Getz compilations and some are worth getting (eg: Jazz Masters). If you are into CD’s these cost very little, try Amazon market place sellers.

Martin

Get Focus, which is him improvising (I think) over some dynamic small orchestral pieces.

Just soaring, effortless, very expressive and dynamic playing all in that lovely soft tone. Sublime.

Sweet Rain. Chick Corea, Ron Carter and Grady Tate . . . superb.
Also his cut of Bill Evans' Very Early on Pure Getz is gorgeous.

Oh, and Captain Marvel . . .

In addition to some already mentioned some of his later stuff is very definitely worth a listen, Anniversity and Serenity as well as the recently released Bossas & Ballads - The Lost Sessions. Other favourites include Jazz Samba & Samba Encore, Gets Au Go Go (Live), Stan Getz & The Oscar Peterson Trio. Focus and Getz/Gilberto are "must have" records.

Nic

advertisement

Back