advertisement

St Ives

hifinutt

hifinutt
Anyone going on holiday to Cornwall and st Ives?? Might have a shock, not even a police station there and now 6000 police !!!

The arrogance of this Govt. is mind boggling. It looks very much like they have just turned up and taken over the place without warning causing massive inconvenience to locals. One chap was prevented from lawfully retrieving his Lobster Pots by the Navy.. for 'security reasons'. Also I believe a lot of people have been turfed out of hotels to make room for police. And finally,, from what I've seen on the telly the whole operation looks amateurish, shambolic and untidy.

Its really not as bad as some are making out.

We have our holiday apartment right in the middle of the ring-of-steel. We are if the wind blows in the right direction within spitting distance of the Carbis Bay Hotel. The food is not that good by the way. OK but thats all. Even my wife complained that the spa treatments were over priced and mediocre.

As owners we have all the rules and I have to say that a lot of thought has gone into these. For sure its going to be a big disruption but only for a few days but the big benefits will come later when a very large audience see what a lovely place Carbis Bay really is. Already it is an up and coming area but the future for the locals looks very good indeed.

The whole operation from the literature that we have been given has been well thought out and top notch. The routes and checkpoints are clearly laid out. For example pedestrians and cyclists have free access its only motorists that need to identify themselves with many different types of ID accepted. There are ample warnings for example TESCO where you can go and shop but not park. So walkies or bike. Those that are disabled can get help with deliveries etc.

Cheers,

DV

We have our holiday apartment right in the middle of the ring-of-steel. We are if the wind blows in the right direction within spitting distance of the Carbis Bay Hotel. The food is not that good by the way. OK but thats all. Even my wife complained that the spa treatments were over priced and mediocre.

As owners we have all the rules and I have to say that a lot of thought has gone into these. For sure its going to be a big disruption but only for a few days but the big benefits will come later when a very large audience see what a lovely place Carbis Bay really is. Already it is an up and coming area but the future for the locals looks very good indeed.

The whole operation from the literature that we have been given has been well thought out and top notch. The routes and checkpoints are clearly laid out. For example pedestrians and cyclists have free access its only motorists that need to identify themselves with many different types of ID accepted. There are ample warnings for example TESCO where you can go and shop but not park. So walkies or bike. Those that are disabled can get help with deliveries etc.

Cheers,

DV

How dare you come here with your facts and personal experience to spoil the pfm sense of outrage, down with that sort of thing!

Cheers,

DV
We’re just about to take a week’s holiday, deferred from this time last year due to covid. Fortunately we’re not going to St Ives, or anywhere close, but we’d be pretty pissed off if our only holiday in 2 years, at a date we didn’t have all that much control over, was disrupted in this way.

The G7 summit at St Ives has long been known about - you can hardly call it a surprise unless you were living in Rabbit burrow.

The circus came to Brum a few years ago - when Bill Clinton went walkabout and had a pint in a local on the canal. I can't see Biden pulling a similar stunt these days....

At least a long-ish journey to the sharp end of Cornwall actually makes some sense from a security point of view - not many routes to get down there.

Personally I have found St. Ives lovely but over crowded and the routes in and out pretty awkward. I seem to remember something about a park & ride by train being promoted - but when you wanted to go back, there were no trains to take you!

Best, 43 years ago!, was when I did a chunk of the SW Coast Path and walked into St Ives from the cliffs to the West. Heading East along the beach after a tour of Barbara Hepworth and then a lovely lunch at the Golden Egg (we were poor students....remember them?) was one of the toughest parts of the walk

The G7 summit at St Ives has long been known about - you can hardly call it a surprise unless you were living in Rabbit burrow.

The circus came to Brum a few years ago - when Bill Clinton went walkabout and had a pint in a local on the canal. I can't see Biden pulling a similar stunt these days....

At least a long-ish journey to the sharp end of Cornwall actually makes some sense from a security point of view - not many routes to get down there.

Personally I have found St. Ives lovely but over crowded and the routes in and out pretty awkward. I seem to remember something about a park & ride by train being promoted - but when you wanted to go back, there were no trains to take you!

Best, 43 years ago!, was when I did a chunk of the SW Coast Path and walked into St Ives from the cliffs to the West. Heading East along the beach after a tour of Barbara Hepworth and then a lovely lunch at the Golden Egg (we were poor students....remember them?) was one of the toughest parts of the walk
I was only looking at bill Clinton's cavalcade on my old pics this week , happy memories, we went to see air force one and the road from airport to town had grass painted green to look good

The arrogance of this Govt. is mind boggling. It looks very much like they have just turned up and taken over the place without warning causing massive inconvenience to locals. One chap was prevented from lawfully retrieving his Lobster Pots by the Navy.. for 'security reasons'. Also I believe a lot of people have been turfed out of hotels to make room for police. And finally,, from what I've seen on the telly the whole operation looks amateurish, shambolic and untidy.

Things aren't always what they seem.

It's certainly been planned since early January.

I'd have thought with all the security they could find a small squad to help the guy get Joe a nice fresh lobster.

Spent part of the late summer on the beaches of St. Ives in the early sixties; sleeping rough and picking potatoes/signing on for a living; existing on a budget of two and sixpence (= 12.5p) a day. Busy , even then, and becoming an artists' venue. As DV says, Carbis Bay Hotel hasn't enjoyed the greatest rep. over the years.

Last time I was there, in the late nineties, my future wife and I had a bust-up and she disappeared. Luckily (or not?) I found her as she was boarding a London-bound bus, to return to Taiwan. Had I not, things may well have been different. For some unaccountable reason, she'd like to return to St.Ives for a holiday; not sure I do !

I had wondered what this thread would be about - I could only think of the old "As I was going to St Ives, I met 6000 coppers going the same way".

Spent part of the late summer on the beaches of St. Ives in the early sixties; sleeping rough and picking potatoes/signing on for a living; existing on a budget of two and sixpence (= 12.5p) a day. Busy , even then, and becoming an artists' venue. As DV says, Carbis Bay Hotel hasn't enjoyed the greatest rep. over the years.

Last time I was there, in the late nineties, my future wife and I had a bust-up and she disappeared. Luckily (or not?) I found her as she was boarding a London-bound bus, to return to Taiwan. Had I not, things may well have been different. For some unaccountable reason, she'd like to return to St.Ives for a holiday; not sure I do !

We must have been there around that sort of time. Usually we holidayed in North Cornwall, but one year we had a family holiday near St Ives, probably the last one on which our elder daughter tagged along. Nothing particularly dramatic happened. I do however remember us going out to look at the night sky, which was amazing because of the lack of light pollution. Our younger daughter sat down on one of the plastic chairs on the patio, not realising that it was still very wet from several previous days' rain. She wasn't at all amused, but the rest us thought it was hilarious.

Did anyone notice the Queen Elizabeth parked in just the right spot for a photo op with Boris and Biden.
Great ship, complete waste of money. Every time she goes to sea she takes half of the fleet and two nukes as protection. Better off with dozen new frigates.
And don’t get me started on it’s aircraft!

It's the arrogance of them considering this scum so important that normal local people can not be allowed to "proceed along the Queens highway" , access their own fishing gear etc etc etc that gets me...

Did anyone notice the Queen Elizabeth parked in just the right spot for a photo op with Boris and Biden.
Great ship, complete waste of money. Every time she goes to sea she takes half of the fleet and two nukes as protection. Better off with dozen new frigates.
And don’t get me started on it’s aircraft!

Her carrier group consists of some US ships.
De we even have enough ships to make up a full carrier support group?

da83a28c2c223b7f58e0e471e98c7a650fd5902c_2_1332x1000.jpeg

Mt Recyclemore, a sculpture commissioned by Music Magpie depicting the G7 leaders, overlooking St Ives bay and Carbis bay.

On grauniad site right now is photo of the Biden's going for a nice stroll with bozo and princess nut nut on a perfectly empty beach.... no doubt anyone else wanting to use it turfed off by special branch!

advertisement

Back