advertisement

SRV: Texas Flood

Rupert Hawkes

pfm Member
Firstly I HAVE to say I cannot start to express my profound despair that the beautiful Stevie Ray is no longer with us : Rave On Stevie...

Been listening again to Texas Flood tonite...

Is it me (or my hifi) or is the record quality on this album pretty poor. I'm referrign to the high levels of hiss on the CD recording. ANY IDEAS/THOUGHTS?

Setup : Naim CDX, 82, 250, Hicap, Headline, Epos M22s.

Some other brief thoughts on this album:

Lenny is so f****** awesome.

Also listen to the first 2 seconds of the album, Stevie, even he, makes a mistake and it's great that the 'take' was left "as is"!

Exactly!!!!

Just as i like it!!!

On a serious note,many,many recordings i have on both cd and vinyl have tape hiss,it also allows you to listen to small nuances like chair legs scraping etc,or on some recordings the rumble from the tube underground!!!

I have 'Couldn't stand the weather' on vinyl, and hope to get 'Texas Flood' on vinyl one day,too. I really do believe in the vinyl, I'm afraid, and I do have the CD's to compare.
Saw him live, with his brothers band supporting, in 1984. I love his music.

Is SRV any good?
I keep hearing people mention him, but can't say I've heard anything that I remember.
(NB. I'm serious.)

Is SRV any good?
I keep hearing people mention him, but can't say I've heard anything that I remember.
(NB. I'm serious.)

You can sample his music here. I'd start with his first Texas Flood, which I think is his best, though all his recordings are worth having.

g05904kusx4.jpg

SRV was one of the very best guitarists ever! In fact Rolling Stone mag list him in as number #7 the top #100 guitarists of all time to give you some idea of how highly regarded he is (even to this day). He is certainly in my top 2 (Frank Zappa being number one).

And I agree with the above post - get all his stuff starting with

Texas Flood
Couldn't Stand The Weather
Soul To Soul
In Step

The guy was a rare, rare talent!

Well, I bought Texas Flood yesterday, and have had one listen.
First impressions are that there is some excellent guitar playing there, but some of the songs are straight 12-bars, which aren't particularly my cup of tea.
Definitely worth a further listen (which I'll do on the train during the week).

I first saw SRV at Hammersmith Odeon in the second row there was Eric Clapton,Ringo,Harrison and Mark Knopfler all sitting there with there jaw hitting the floor it was an amazing gig

SRV was not just 12 bar blues

First impressions are that there is some excellent guitar playing there, but some of the songs are straight 12-bars

The first album (like the first album of many modern "blues hotshots") was pretty much a set piece, just him showing his chops within the standard setting. Things got more creative (and more interesting, to my ears) as his career went on.

advertisement

Back