advertisement

Squeezebox Touch vs. Rega Dac

So one person thinks a £70 cheapo Chinese DAC improves the Touch. Another insists that the Touch's DAC is equivalent to a £1,000 CD player.

Bugger. I hate having to make up my own mind.

:)

Let me restate my current position:

The sounds quality is the same whether I use the SB Touch directly, or plug the sb touch into a rega dac.

The Rega DAC sounds way better than the SB Touch when I power it through a PC.

Thinking about this some more, I think the bottleneck is the LAN at home. I've got like 10 devices hooked up to my LinkSys Router. A better router may make things better, but that way might just lead to madness.

Your mileage may vary. :)

So one person thinks a £70 cheapo Chinese DAC improves the Touch. Another insists that the Touch's DAC is equivalent to a £1,000 CD player.

Bugger. I hate having to make up my own mind.

Let me qualify in two ways about the cheapo Chinese DAC;

1) The Lite DAC AH is really rather good for the money. I got it from Peter Stockwell, who I think will also affirm that it was pretty good for the little cash.

2) It is a NOS Dac and many have argued that this has a particular kind of colored sound. I find this appealing, some find it inaccurate. It adds glow to vocals and a slight darkening of the lower mids to almost anything I have used it with, and I've usually foung that welcome. But when someone on this thread said that we might be just using our DACs as tone controls then they are at least partially right.

Just for the record, I bought a Dacmagic last week. Plumbed in between the Squeezebox Touch and my Nait 2 it has definitely improved the music. Nothing dramatic, but just a bit better in every way. Definitely a worthwhile step up.

There you go: another subjective opinion thrown into the hifi ether, to a collective cyber-yawn.

advertisement

Back