advertisement

SQueezebox Touch keeps re-buffering Flac files

Conan

Loop digger
As the title says, my SBT keeps rebuffering Flac files. Quite irritating. I never had a problem with 320 kbit/s, but Flac losseless sound better...
As a server I use my laptop via wifi

It seems, that you have a network problem. Is your notebook and SBT connected with the router with wlan ? Try to connect your notebook, or your SBT with one ethernet cable, avoid two "wlan" steps.
If you want best sound quality, then use for both ethernet cable ...

will connecting the router to SBT via ethernet make a difference? Or connecting laptop to router? or laptop directly to SBT?

This happens to me when I'm using the same wifi channel as one of the neighbours -who unfortunately seem to change channels regularly. I use the free app Wi-Fi Analyzer on my phone to figure out which channel is clear and adjust my router accordingly.

Alternatively hard wire it. I'm thinking of using one of those systems which uses the wiring in the house to transmit the signal.

will connecting the router to SBT via ethernet make a difference? Or connecting laptop to router? or laptop directly to SBT?

Hard wire the server/laptop to the router, then you can run multiple clients via wi-fi, as Tomek says using wi-fi for both links will be flakey...:)

Router to SBT by ethernet will solve your problem completely. Alternatively, use homeplugs...router to homeplug by ethernet at the router end, homeplug to SBT at the SBT end.

Chris

I have a 5m long ethernet cable. Will the extensive lenght of the cable compromise its efficiency?

Router to SBT by ethernet will solve your problem completely. Alternatively, use homeplugs...router to homeplug by ethernet at the router end, homeplug to SBT at the SBT end.

Chris

Genius, so now he has to hardwire every client...???

Place the server near the router, hardwire the Server to the router, this will fix all wi-fi clients, without covering the whole house with long ethernet cables...

I've had no dropouts across 4 clients for 3 years

He did suggest homeplugs as well which means no (difficult or unsightly) wiring at all.

If you don't get dropouts, great, but for those of us that do, it's a good solution.

Genius, so now he has to hardwire every client...???

Place the server near the router, hardwire the Server to the router, this will fix all wi-fi clients, without covering the whole house with long ethernet cables...

I've had no dropouts across 4 clients for 3 years

Believe it or not, most people only have one client.

Also, you try listening to flacs at 24/96 whist your wife is streaming video to the bedroom and the kids are busy downloading in the bedroom all over wi fi.

So I took the obvious step & hard wired my DS. It stays in one place. The wife's and kid's ipads & laptops don't.

Chris

Believe it or not, most people only have one client.

Also, you try listening to flacs at 24/96 whist your wife is streaming video to the bedroom and the kids are busy downloading in the bedroom all over wi fi.

So I took the obvious step & hard wired my DS. It stays in one place. The wife's and kid's ipads & laptops don't.

Chris

I use a spare old wifi router next to the server for music, all other clients run with a different wifi router. Different channels, no contention for the music router. Job's a goodun.

advertisement

Back