advertisement

Squeezebox Touch £139.99 at Amazon

Got one as it is such a steal at this price (This will make a great gift as I have no use for one more logitech device, owning a duet, two radios and a touch alread...)

Oh noes, I pressed the button... I assume it works with my iTunes library?

Yep, but you might have some aggro with artwork depending on how you have ripped and where iTunes has squirelled the artwork away. Checkout the Settings options in LMS - there is an iTunes tab. Its worth downloading the free Squeezebox app if you have any iThingies and (IMO) it is even more worthwhile paying for the iPeng app.

Does this mean that the SBT v2 is due out?

All of a sudden the v1 will become average sounding and the v2 will be the only thing to be seen with...

Oh noes, I pressed the button... I assume it works with my iTunes library?

Works perfectly in terms of sound and glitch free streaming.
Doesn't always pick up artwork but that can be fixed with something like Bliss:

http://www.blisshq.com/index.html

Fixes artwork issues, usually finds it when iTunes doesn't and lets you do some editing.

SBT plus iPhone/iPad remote is a very neat and efficient way to stream.

Does it pay any attention to the 'Sorting' tab in iTunes or can I expect things sorted by artist first name? That will drive me nuts to be honest, there is nothing more moronic than seeing Dylan sorted under 'B' etc.

If you use Logitech Media Server the My Music settings menu allows you to add words that should be ignored in any sort. The problem I guess is that sometimes you want to sort on the artists first name, sometimes not.

Does it pay any attention to the 'Sorting' tab in iTunes or can I expect things sorted by artist first name? That will drive me nuts to be honest, there is nothing more moronic than seeing Dylan sorted under 'B' etc.

Dunno as I tend to leave iTunes on the moronic setting ;)

But I've just changed it and asked the SB server to rescan the library, I'll report back in 30.

The sorting options on iTunes and the way it transfers them to the iPhone / iPod is one of the reasons I'm such a fan. Whenever I've seen PC systems they just look so crap, just everything in the wrong place. I'm sure it's possible to do it correctly there, but people don't seem to bother.
Here's an example from my iPhone:

9bgig6.jpg

Most of those would be in the wrong place on the PC streaming systems I've seen. iTunes itself deals with 'The', and there is the sorting options tab where you can manually deal with the rest, e.g. I have it set to 'Dylan, Bob'. It's just right that way. I'll eventually set it up so albums are displayed in chronological order within artist rather than alphabetical, i.e. add another date parameter to the sort options, which again is possible.

Ok, I just edited my Tom Jones album in iTunes to report as Jones Tom.
Asked the Squeexebox server to rescan for changed media and that too now reports as Jones Tom.

So it seems to do as its told by iTunes.
There is a tick box within the squeezebox server 'uses iTunes' so logically that makes sense.

TBH I've never tried it without the 'use iTunes' option - I can if that interests you since its only a tick box and reversible.

<edit, Ive just realised I have the wrong end of the stick. You are talking about sorting, not first/second name order. woops>

I'll eventually set it up so albums are displayed in chronological order within artist rather than alphabetical, i.e. add another date parameter to the sort options, which again is possible.

You can just click the album column a couple of times to do that can't you?

(Perhaps you mean on the iPhone.)

Update for Tony,

After re-engaging the brain, I left the name field alone but added Jones Tom to the sort field.
The SBT now lists Tom Jones under J, with the names in that order.

I think that is what you were asking?

Update for Tony,

After re-engaging the brain, I left the name field alone but added Jones Tom to the sort field.
The SBT now lists Tom Jones under J, with the names in that order.

I think that is what you were asking?

Yes, that's it. I'll probably like it now.

I take it that the thing with the artwork is that it can only read it if it's actually embedded in the file, not in the iTunes database (where iTunes stores the artwork it finds itself)? I can live with that, it's far less annoying than everything being in the wrong place! I'm so obsessive about these things that most stuff is embedded anyway as iTunes tends to find the cover for a different mastering etc (yes, I'm that obsessive...).

advertisement

Back