advertisement

Squeezebox replacement ideas

Is it an improvement over the SBT?
If you are only using it as a digital transport then it might not be a huge step forward sound wise, but then neither would a megabucks Lumin, Linn etc - it’s only 0’s and 1’s after all.:rolleyes:

But as an all in one it’s a lot better (and I have owned something like 20 Squeezebox products down the years). Throw in the internal hard drive storage and brilliant app and it’s one of the best conceived and high value products I have used in 25+ years of dicking around with hi-fi.:cool:

If you are only using it as a digital transport then it might not be a huge step forward sound wise, but then neither would a megabucks Lumin, Linn etc - it’s only 0’s and 1’s after all.:rolleyes:

But as an all in one it’s a lot better (and I have owned something like 20 Squeezebox products down the years). Throw in the internal hard drive storage and brilliant app and it’s one of the best conceived and high value products I have used in 25+ years of dicking around with hi-fi.:cool:
It was a travesty that Logitech abandoned it but great that one of its engineers continues to support and progress the LMS software. It’s a work of genius.

Where does this Audiofools term come from? What gives anyone the right to judge what someone chooses to spend their own money on??? It might not be what ‘you’ would buy but then something you like might not suit ‘them’, the whole thing winds me up!

Where does this Audiofools term come from? What gives anyone the right to judge what someone chooses to spend their own money on??? It might not be what ‘you’ would buy but then something you like might not suit ‘them’, the whole thing winds me up!

You’re right and it is inappropriate to use this term. I love the Pi system I’ve built but it doesn’t have the luxury finished look of more commercial streamers and I do appreciate that others prefer this. It does however have the sound I crave and that’s my priority.

Simple, in this case it comes from sharlatans taking everyday electronics and open source software, adding a web interface (if it doesn’t preexist), slapping it in a fancy box and selling it as high-end audio gear with magical properties ascribed through marketing material.

Yes I think the auralic mini sounds better that SQ box plus it’s hassle free with no computer building/messing required unlike some of the more diy options. Control app is excellent too, easily in par with LMS.

Would you prefer "believers"? I don't think anyone objects to whatever conspicuous consumption people want to engage in, but some of us object to the pseudoscience, woo and outright fraud that constitutes "high end audio".

I doubt there is a better shop in the EU for low cost and DIY audio stuff than audiophonics, they have pretty much any obscure connection and adapter you'd ever need in stock. It makes no sense to give them a bad rep in this particular area.

Also, a lot of the Pi options ship assembled with OS installed these days. With a lot of them you hit some kind of password on only the first boot, then you're set. Plug in a drive and off you go.

Yes I think the auralic mini sounds better that SQ box plus it’s hassle free with no computer building/messing required unlike some of the more diy options. Control app is excellent too, easily in par with LMS.
Having compared them it doesn’t sound better.

Having compared them it doesn’t sound better.
I disagree but your entitled to your own opinion. I’ve personally owned a auralic mini, Aries Femto & currently aries G1. I’ve also owned several squeezeboxes including the touch. The minis performance jumps when you add a linear power supply.

Your subjective perceptions are noted. Would you have any objective data?

How would you measure an increased height,width and depth of soundstage ?

Phase shift, inter-channel balance, frequency response. As long as those are reasonable, soundstage is determined by the source material, the speakers and the room.

But in this case it doesn't matter - a double-blind ABX test showing there are audible differences would be enough.

Auralic Mini every time

^^
I asked the same question and following advise,bought one on spec. I haven't compared it to the rest of the market TBH, but it's a neat little thing compared to what I had before. After a couple of NAS's went down with all the subsequent hassle of rebuilding the library, it's like a dream come true. Mind you, your friends and family won't be saying "oh, that's a nice looking piece of kit," because they probably won't even notice it.

I disagree but your entitled to your own opinion. I’ve personally owned a auralic mini, Aries Femto & currently aries G1. I’ve also owned several squeezeboxes including the touch. The minis performance jumps when you add a linear power supply.
I’m even less convinced now you’ve mentioned a linear power supply.

The only doubt that I have, is if the Auralic Mini is currently available; there seems to be some confusion as to whether or not it has been discontinued.

advertisement

Back