advertisement

Squeezebox+ question

There is already ample evidence that many hi-res issues have far more care taken with the mastering (in many cases, quite possibly less "mastering work" being done). Such re-issues may well sound better, but that's nothing to do with the format per se.

I can transcode more or less anything down to 16/48 and I would challenge you to distinguish between that and the original with any kind of statistical accuracy. You might be able to do so, but then again...

You only need listen to any ECM red book CD to know there is nothing wrong with 16/44.

For those curious, try this:-http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biber-Muffat-Anmarsch-Assenbaum-Mortensen/dp/B0000XK7LE/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1314200443&sr=1-7

I found this through the music section here, but I can't remember who posted the recommendation. If the person who did reads this, Thank you, I really like it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
i have all three logitech products and a touch + dac sounds better to me.
Which three would those be, then? The SB+ isn't strictly speaking a Logitech product anyway (although it's based upon one).

Sorry I have SB3, transporter and Touch. i also have quite a few high res files. they seem to sound good to me. The dac I added to the touch is a giggaworks diy jobby.

I haven't tried a SB+. I thought my comment was helpful as the OP is interested in high-res files.

I do like the touch. I use it with a controller, remote (which is cute and the best one so far) or a netbook.

I have had SB1, SB2, SB3, Duet, SB+ and Touch. (I still have 2 x Duet, 2 x SB3 and a Boom!)

The best results I have had are from the Duet/Touch playing into a Meridian 568.2 (as Mr Sukebee above), this was comfortably better then the SB+ on it's own. I could detect no difference with the digital out on the SB+ and the Duet going into the 568.2. But the SB+ is still a very good standalone product and at £700 or so for a s/h one is excellent value for money.

I think with the right DAC the SB+ can be beaten, however it does require a good DAC (again I have tried lots), and the reclocking FIFO on the 568.2 has been my favourite.

I haven't tried any hi-res files, but to be honest I just listening to music at present and not getting too anal about the last word in quality!!

The SB Touch was my first squeezebox. It's very good, and I use it with it's own DAC straight into a pair of meridian active speakers and it makes an amazing office system. It's much better through an external DAC, but you have then trebled the cost. Through the same DAC the Linn Sneaky DS is notably better (why?) but through it's own DAC it's only slightly better than the SB Touch, certainly not enough to justify the price difference. All of the above are better than the Mac Mini + DAC I started with. Well recorded 24/96 is way better than the best CD, but just because something is recorded at high resolution doesn't mean it's a good recording.

advertisement

Back