advertisement

Squeezebox Compatible Devices

JemHayward

pfm Member
Starting a thread to gather together information on streaming devices that are compatible with the Squeezebox system, which seems to be popular around here. Hopefully this can act as a resource for anyone trying to wade through the morass of information and mis-information about the Squeezebox system, and its future, if it has one.

Logitech bought the system from its original developers who had the good sense and community spirit to make the software open source, and it is (relatively) easy for clever programmers to extend, modify and port the system to new hardware.

There are two parts to the system:

The server, which is now called Logitech Media Server (LMS) and unlike a UPnP type of server, this also controls the clients, and it also manages things like synchronisation, and downsampling, if needed. It supports the concept of plug ins, and there are many to choose from.

The client software - this is available to run on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux and a specific Linux unit, known as the Squeezebox Touch, which was the final, and probably the best, hardware player made by Logitech.

As far as I know, there is only one LMS (apart from platform variations) and I'm not aware of anyone doing alternative server software. It would appear that Logitech are still distributing LMS, and even maybe updating it too.

For those who want to connect a Squeezebox to their HiFi there are a few alternatives. I'm going to split these into streamers with a digital output, and devices with a built in DAC, that then connects to your system in the analogue domain (I'll call them complete players).

Complete Players, available new.
I'm not aware of any at the moment.

Complete Players, available used.
Squeezebox Touch (SBT) - probably the latest and greatest, as it seems to have a half decent built in DAC and can handle up to 24/96
Transporter - much more expensive full width hifi component type of player, also 24/96 and apparently sounds ok.
Duet - a player without display but usually paired with a snazzy remote control, but limited, I think, to 16/44.1
Squeexebox "classic" - similar form factor to the touch, but the display is less "graphical" and limited to 16/44.1

There is also a project to create a "Community Squeezebox" which will be a complete player, based on a readily available computing platform - lots of info can be found here:
http://www.communitysqueeze.org/faq.jsp

Streamers:
All the above can be used with external DACs, so can be used as a streamer, and the SBT is bit-perfect if the volume control is set at max, and can, via the third-party "Triode" plugin, support 24/96 via USB, and higher sample rates via SPDIF.

I've recently found the snazzily titled "SOtM Mini Server sMS-100" made by Simple Design (http://www.sonore.us/SOtM1.html) in the USA and despite its rather confusing title, it would appear to be a neat little linux computer running the Squeezebox software, but with hardware that supports up to 24/384 playback via USB - so a pure streamer, ready to connect to your USB DAC. Sold in the uk by Item.

There must be others.... anyone?

Squeezeplay is the software that runs on client devices and has been run on Windows, Mac, Linux and devices such as the O2 Joggler, and headless devices like Raspberry Pi, and others.

So, you can get into the Squeezebox world from any PC, just connect it to your DAC - or if it has a soundcard, directly to your amp, and off you go.

I think its safe to say there are plenty of people out there who are keen to keep the Squeezebox paradigm alive and it would seem it is at least as good as any other streaming system at getting the data to your DAC in a timely and accurate fashion.

The Sonore SOtm Mini Server sMS-100 is possibly a Touch replacement. USB out, ethernet in, squeezy insides. High sample rates, DSD, fancy power supplies and DACs as add-ons if you want.

The same company have just launched a full on sMS-2000 network player that is also LMS compatable.

But isn't the USB output, whether from the EDO mod or the Sonore approach, actually breaking the paradigm? To me the essence of the paradigm was that the DAC itself was on the network, like the Touch, Transporter, Linn DS, naim NDS .. it certainly wasn't conceived as an ethernet to USB bridge!

Good summary. Let me just add that the Squeezebox UE radio that is still available from some shops can be upgraded (logitech calls it downgraded) to be squeezebox-compatible via a simple menu option.

LMS is at the heart of Daphile, turning pretty much any intel computing platform into a headless music server using Linux. Very much like Vortexbox in principle.

Just connect a dac, point it at your library and use a tablet or phone to control it. Works a treat.

See the separate Daphile thread for more.

Good write up Jem!

It would be good to find something that connects a SBT to a uPnP server, WITHOUT. having to run LMS anywhere is it.

I have tried a mix of streamers ans the SBT is a nice unit, but I don't want LMS there,

DS

The SB classic isn't limited to 16/44. It will also deal with 16/48, and in conjunction with LMS dealing with downsampling when required, will go up to 24/192. I think, but am not sure, that the most it can do without downsampling is 24/96, ie the same as a Touch. I suspect the Duet is the same.

Good summary. Let me just add that the Squeezebox UE radio that is still available from some shops can be upgraded (logitech calls it downgraded) to be squeezebox-compatible via a simple menu option.

I am pleased to hear this. Initially, the new UE Smart Radio could not be modified to be a Squeezebox Radio, but Logitech changed tack. Some Googling turned up the official announcement here.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MySqu...e-to-the-Logitech-UE-Smart-Radio/td-p/1051331

I already have a Squeezebox Radio and, for the size of the unit, it sounds excellent. This news means I may be buying a UE Smart Radio at some point.

Kind regards

- Garry

I already have a Squeezebox Radio and, for the size of the unit, it sounds excellent. This news means I may be buying a UE Smart Radio at some point.

In that case you'd better hurry, as the way it is being discounted leads me to believe it is about to be discontinued too.

It would be good to find something that connects a SBT to a uPnP server, WITHOUT. having to run LMS anywhere is it.

To me the whole benefit of the squeezebox system is the LMS - I wouldn't want to have to live with the limitations of a uPnP/DLNA system.

Any PC, notebook, netbook, headless pc with x86 32 or 64 can be 100% compatible Squezebox or LMS, or both with this free software:

http://www.daphile.com/

Tomek, daphile was already mentioned earlier in the thread. As you seem to be actively promoting daphile in a number of separate threads, I just wanted to ask what your connection with daphile is?

Any PC, notebook, netbook, headless pc with x86 32 or 64 can be 100% compatible Squezebox or LMS, or both with ....

Simply load the appropriate LMS for your OS and use Triode's local player plugin - squeezelite - and turn you 'puter into a squeezebox. Run it in a VM if you wish. Or if you've already got LMS running on a device, use standalone squeezelite to let your 'puter act as a player only.

https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/downloads/list

Not limited to x86. ARM devices supported, so Rpi or Beagelbone Black etc. could be used.

This may also be of interest: http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?18-3rd-Party-Hardware

As far as I know, there is only one LMS (apart from platform variations) and I'm not aware of anyone doing alternative server software. It would appear that Logitech are still distributing LMS, and even maybe updating it too.

LMS is still being developed. See nightly builds. Which is just as well or Linux distros that have moved to perl 5.18 couldn't run version 7.7.3 package and you would have to build your own self-contained LMS.

I've recently found the snazzily titled "SOtM Mini Server sMS-100" made by Simple Design (http://www.sonore.us/SOtM1.html) in the USA and despite its rather confusing title, it would appear to be a neat little linux computer running the Squeezebox software, but with hardware that supports up to 24/384 playback via USB - so a pure streamer, ready to connect to your USB DAC. Sold in the uk by Item.

The name is confusing, closer reading of that page shows:

"RECOMMENDED CONTROLLERS and SERVERS
Mobile device controllers: Squeezebox, iPeng
Server: Logitech Media Server (LMS) running on your PC or Mac or NAS (Vortexbox or Synology)
"

i.e This device does not run LMS, that has to be somewhere else on your network. Perhaps a better description would be a "network player ...".

Squeezeplay is the software that runs on client devices and has been run on Windows, Mac, Linux and devices such as the O2 Joggler, and headless devices like Raspberry Pi, and others.

Don't forget squeezelite, availabe as Triode's "Local Player" 3rd-party plugin or standalone.

Seems you missed the old Squeezebox Boom from the list, we have one in our lounge as a lo-fi system and its very good. Sounds better than the Squeeze box Radios.

JemHayward, i've been thru' most of the Slim Devices/Logitech stuff...last streamer was the Transporter.

my streamer now is the Linn Akurate DS.........soon to be upgraded to Klimax DS ......IF i can get it by you know who :).

i run Minimserver and LMS on the same NAS,both have their highlights.

i have a plugin for my DS called SkweezyDS which allows my remaining Controller/Squeezebox Radios to work together with LMS,it's courtesy of a chap from Linn and is quite easy to install/use.

recently installed QUBOZ app in LMS and now can output their stream from LMS to DS :).

i usually control the music from an Android app called BubbleDS from my mobile/tablet.........mainly because my thieving daughter has her grubby hands all over MY Ipad!.

had the KLimax DS on demo over Xmas/New Year..........boy! it gives my LP12 a good run for the money:)

good luck in your search for a streamer,the choices are multiple these days.

JemHayward, i've been thru' most of the Slim Devices/Logitech stuff...last streamer was the Transporter.

my streamer now is the Linn Akurate DS.........soon to be upgraded to Klimax DS ......IF i can get it by you know who :).

i run Minimserver and LMS on the same NAS,both have their highlights.

i have a plugin for my DS called SkweezyDS which allows my remaining Controller/Squeezebox Radios to work together with LMS,it's courtesy of a chap from Linn and is quite easy to install/use.

recently installed QUBOZ app in LMS and now can output their stream from LMS to DS :).

i usually control the music from an Android app called BubbleDS from my mobile/tablet.........mainly because my thieving daughter has her grubby hands all over MY Ipad!.

had the KLimax DS on demo over Xmas/New Year..........boy! it gives my LP12 a good run for the money:)

good luck in your search for a streamer,the choices are multiple these days.

oddly enough, I moved the other way, I started with Linn, and I rate their system, and support very highly, but ended up using an extrrnal DAC to get the sound I wanted, and with an external DAC DS and SBT sounded identical, as they should. The family found the SBT interface easier, so the Linn was sold, and the money went elsewhere.

I've used a Raspberry Pi with Squeezeplug, Squeezelite and usb dac.
There's also Rasbyfi(now Volumino or something like that).
The community is building a device based on the Wandboard which will carry the server and player in one box.
I currently use Vortexbox with the latest community version of LMS and. Usb dac.I have installed Squeezelite as the main player.Can play all, including Spotify and Quobuz. Also rips and handles cover art etc.
You can also use your iPhone,Ipad,ITouch as a player using Ipeng or SqueezePad remotes with the Playback feature engaged, using a Camera Connection kit or compatible digital dock, the IThingy can play up to 24/96.
There are many workable options and some cost very little. Though many are Linux based forums provide ample clear instruction to help implement and maintain these devices and it's not as complicated as some would have you believe.

advertisement

Back