advertisement

Sprayfoam roof insulation

Spray foam is going to be another PPI... how on earth anyone could think offering grants for it was a sound idea is daft. Traditional roofing and construction design for domestic dwellings is about having the loft space on the cold side of the thermal barrier. Most condensation issues are caused by a lack of air exchange in the loft space combined with warm air leaking through the thermal barrier between the upper ceiling and the loft space. Covering the underside of the slates/tiles etc. with a layer of expanding foam is completely the wrong thing to do. It promotes ventilation restriction... trapping warm air in a cold space, covers timbers that shouldn't be covered and blocks any breathing of the roof membrane. I can completely see why mortgage companies are wary. It's a crap idea and thankfully one I don't have to contend with.

You would jolly well hope so given the cost! What's the cost of a new roof? For your typical semi with a 7m x 6 footprint, I'll say £30-40k, assuming major timbers and structure sound. Ouch.
About half that Steve depending on location, type (hip vs gable) and material (tile vs slate).

yes indeed , but i guess one is going to have to mention it on the sale details ? so i guess they will use that as a bargaining chip . this place [ once the occupant has left ] should attract about 20-30 offers in first fortnight as its an incredibly popular location but that still may be a factor in keeping price low

reading the RICS guide on this stuff . fascinating

You should be aware of the increasing risk to your property when using polyurethanespray foam as insulation. While uninhabited loft spaces do not require protecting fromfire, in the event of a fire in your home, spray foam is combustible and will increase thelikelihood and extent of damage to your property and any adjoining properties.
Removing existing insulation from above the ceiling and changing the position of theinsulation may make you use more energy compared to a property well-insulated atceiling level (because you have to heat the roof space before heat will be retained in theliving space below). With some roof spaces being relatively large, e.g. in a bungalow, thismay not be cost effective.

well i really thought the house we are trying to sell for the executors would fly out the door . but seems now after a month its not becuase of the sprayfoam stopping a mortgage . pitb . thinking we might have to pay to get it removed as its a messy job and not cheap . i guess about 4k . anyone had sprayfoam removed ?

advertisement

Back