advertisement

Spotify, how do you use it?

"Dork" eh? Thanks - you have such class.

I just want to play albums you see. So I search for Gil Evans Out Of The Cool and I play it. I don't need it in a "list" forever more. Cos that list would get to be huge and I would need to search it. So I just search Spotify instead. Dork - yeah that's me.

Oh and this will kill you - i don't do "genres" either.

:D

sadly, there are very few cd's where ALL the tracks are good .... so some people like to mix their music from different cd's and use specific tracks ...

they then create what is known as a 'playlist' .... press the button and presto! .... you can sit and relax and listen to good music by doing a little 'preparation'

for ****s sakes, even my 13 year old daughter knows how this works ;)

I just want to play albums you see. So I search for Gil Evans Out Of The Cool and I play it. I don't need it in a "list" forever more.

I'm the same - the only 'playlist' I have / am likely to have is what's currently on my iPod (which I think folk can now see if they really want to).

What I really want it to do is if I say play Out Of The Cool by Gill Evans have it suggest some other things I might like. I wish it would do something similar to Amazon; I've found their 'recommended for you' stuff quite logical / close to what I've recently bought or been looking at, to the extent that much of what they recommend I've actually already got. I'm primarily interested in a new music discovery tool - if I know I like something I buy it, i.e. I'm not looking for a means of accessing known good music - it's the stuff I haven't heard of / don't know that I like that I want to find. If 6 Music is getting binned I really need an easy to access means of finding fresh new music.

Tony.

for ****s sakes, even my 13 year old daughter knows how this works ;)

Yeah I know "how it works" I just asked if I am the only person in the world who doesn't want to use it. **** off with the insults, and prepare some more playlists while I dig out another classic Impulse! album - hope it doesn't have a track I don't like though.

What I really want it to do is if I say play Out Of The Cool by Gill Evans have it suggest some other things I might like. I wish it would do something similar to Amazon; I've found their 'recommended for you' stuff quite logical / close to what I've recently bought or been looking at, to the extent that much of what they recommend I've actually already got. I'm primarily interested in a new music discovery tool - if I know I like something I buy it, i.e. I'm not looking for a means of accessing known good music - it's the stuff I haven't heard of / don't know that I like that I want to find. If 6 Music is getting binned I really need an easy to access means of finding fresh new music.

Tony.

Tony - for me I wouldn't trust what any "software" suggests. I tend more to click through umpteen music blogs and get ideas from them...once you get on a roll with stuff linking to other stuff it's ace. For example check out the Your Heart Out link I stuck up earlier. The pdf files are really good reads - sets you off on loads of soul, cheesy jazz, and god knows what else.....

I'm the same - the only 'playlist' I have / am likely to have is what's currently on my iPod (which I think folk can now see if they really want to).

Tony.

I use 2 sites ... works sometimes, and sometimes not

spotibot (links directly to spotify)
http://spotibot.com/playlist/

and music map:
http://www.music-map.com/

Yeah I know "how it works" I just asked if I am the only person in the world who doesn't want to use it. **** off with the insults, and prepare some more playlists while I dig out another classic Impulse! album - hope it doesn't have a track I don't like though.

temper ... temper ....
here is a list .... listen, you may find something new that you enjoy ... then create a playlist of your favourites ;)

Nobody's Heart Gil Evans 04:23 Gil Evans & Ten (1957) [x] [+]
Good Bye Sweet Pops Archie Shepp 04:23 Attica Blues (1972) [x] [+]
The Shadow Of Your Smile (From "The Sandpiper") Toots Thielemans 03:39 Columbia Jazz (2001) [x] [+]
The Skaters Waltz - Instrumental Rahsaan Roland Kirk 04:25 Kirk's Work [RVG Remaster] (2007) [x] [+]
You're Driving Me Crazy (1947) Johnny Hodges 02:53 Complete Jazz Series 1945 - 1950 (2009) [x] [+]
Congolese Children Randy Weston 02:39 Uhuru Africa / Highlife (2009) [x] [+]
Jungle Nights In Harlem DUKE ELLINGTON 02:60 Duke Ellington At The Cotton Club (2010) [x] [+]
Wailin' With Hank Art Farmer 07:14 Farmers Market [Rudy Van Gelder edition] (1956) [x] [+]
Don't Blame Me Miles Davis 02:45 Miles Davis (2006) [x] [+]
Chelsea Bridge Joe Henderson 04:38 The Kicker (1967) [x] [+]
Lillie (Alternate Take) Milt Jackson 03:19 Milt Jackson (1952) [x] [+]
Four And Six Elvin Jones 04:58 Elvin! (1962) [x] [+]

Tony, I am a huge fan of Spotify (but my first love is still vinyl). I am a £10 a month member and I don't begrudge a penny. I use Spotify in the following ways:-

1/. I look on forums and see what albums people are recommending and I listen for 'free' before wasting my hard earned. This has easily saved me more than £10 a month by avoiding buying albums I don't like.

2/. I listen to other albums by artists I already own but don't know if i fancy any of their other output. Again money saved.

3/. I explore labels that I have found rewarding in the past. eg: by typing 'label:ecm' or 'label:verve' into the search bar, all avaliable ECM or Verve releases are shown. This has introduced me to some wonderful albums that I would not have found otherwise.

4/. I use Spotify to play the music stored on my hdd and pc thus removing the need for itunes.

I think Spotify is a great app if they can continue but I seriously question their long term viability.

Gordon

After reading this I've just got round finally to installing this.

What a superb tool!

Now got a simple way to hunt through stuff I've thought about trying for ages. The Gf used it for a minute and then went out and bought a CD!

I've just been searching through anyone I've thought about trying out and its all there. Got some serious listening ahead.....then some purchasing.

Unfortunately it wont be shop purchases. The local HMV doesnt stock any of the stuff I'm wanting to try out. Online it is.

3/. I explore labels that I have found rewarding in the past. eg: by typing 'label:ecm' or 'label:verve' into the search bar, all avaliable ECM or Verve releases are shown. This has introduced me to some wonderful albums that I would not have found otherwise.

Hey thanks for this tip I was about to ask the question last night when I got err sidetracked.

I'm starting to really find my way around now, e.g. if once you've found your genre or label you can then click on a given artist name and access a biog and find some recommendations of othe similar things that may appeal. Some of the genre stuff is really very silly, e.g. Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles appearing in Hard Bop etc, but on the whole it is very good / useful. I've paid to remove the ads, but I've only gone for the £4.99 'Unlimited' option so far - I'm not certain I need the extras in 'Premium', but getting shut of the ads is a huge bonus.

Tony.

Anybody have any idea about DRM Digital rights management. I was thinking about buying a Best of Eagles type CD [No comments as to my taste please]. I believe that they have DRM and I usually burn to iTunes then play through Squeezeserver as I do Spotify. I believe there is a problem with DRM and iTunes.
Is there a legal way around this.

I'm starting to really find my way around now, e.g. if once you've found your genre or label you can then click on a given artist name and access a biog and find some recommendations of othe similar things that may appeal. Some of the genre stuff is really very silly, e.g. Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles appearing in Hard Bop etc, but on the whole it is very good / useful. I've paid to remove the ads, but I've only gone for the £4.99 'Unlimited' option so far - I'm not certain I need the extras in 'Premium', but getting shut of the ads is a huge bonus.

Tony.

Tony - Is "Unlimited" at higher quality?

Cool - so just the "no advertising" over and above Free - I may well go for it though...

advertisement

Back