advertisement

Spotify and SB3

gusi

pfm Member
I have passed on a SB3 and SB boom. The new user would like to stream spotify to the devices.

Now I see that the new squeezeboxes have built in premium spotify support.

I also saw some mention of a plugin in the squeezebox server for spotify. The last post of that was several years ago. Is it still available? Is there a Qnap version?

On a more general note, does anyone care to polish their crystal ball and predict what will happen in that section of the market? I don't see too many SB additions in recent years.

Is Sonos the way to go now? Or are all the media players dlna compliant and interoperable.

Sonos is the market leader for sure, who knows which way it will go. Sonos have the reputation for ease of use if not ultimate sound quality.

I think Spotify is simply one of the official plugins you can choose now for SB's. Also recommend the BBC one as it does catch up radio - works really well.

The independent, 3rd party "Spotify Premium Plugin" is definitely still maintained, and works great. There is also the "official" plugin, but I find the 3rd party one works much better.

The SB as a product is pretty much dead (the only one still available is the UE Radio that can be "downgraded" (actually upgraded) to squeezebox compatibility), but there is pretty good software for turning a raspberry pi or any of the other small embedded linux cards/boxes into a squeezebox player.

A lot of us still feel the squeezebox architecture is far superior to dlna-based solutions, and it seems it is quite viable independent of Logitech.

A lot of us still feel the squeezebox architecture is far superior to dlna-based solutions, and it seems it is quite viable independent of Logitech.

....interesting, why is the SB architecture better than DLNA? Is that information based on TCP/IP based networking or, based on Sound Quality alone for whatever technical reason?

I find this interesting because there are so many good quality DLNA streamers about, but of course, as you say, you can turn a half decent computer into something using the SB architecture instead. I'm just wondering if the SB architecture in terms of software benefits sound quality more than DLNA?

I started a thread asking this question a couple of weeks ago. I have no problem streaming Spotify to my Touch with a computer on, but can't do it with my computer off. I got answers saying that it's easy you just go into settings and change X and Y, but I found that impossible to do for some reason.

I'm borrowing a Sonos at the moment and it's incredibly easy.

I started a thread asking this question a couple of weeks ago. I have no problem streaming Spotify to my Touch with a computer on, but can't do it with my computer off. I got answers saying that it's easy you just go into settings and change X and Y, but I found that impossible to do for some reason.

I'm glad you are getting on with Sonos. I'm toying with tryign to run a hybrid sonos/squeezebox system, not least because you can play iphones direct through sonos like an airport express, which seems pretty cool to me.

IIRC the answer for the OP is that the official spotify app (which will stream from mysqueezebox.com) only works with the SBT, and you need to use the Triode app (which only works with a server on) with older squeezeboxen.

Do check on the slimdevices forum though as my memory may be faulty.

I believe if you are going to invest in a Sonos system then you are perhaps more interested in the scalability of mulit-room music streaming. If however you do not require this scalability then why go with a Sonos?

Why not instead just use an iPod Touch - dock the touch into a device that can pull the pure digital stream out to an external DAC - then run the iPeng LMS server app on the Touch which in effect turns it into a Squeezebox receiver. The SB receiver part is useful if you want to stream music from a computer - of if you simply want to run the full featured Spotify app or YouTube app "direct" from the Apple iPod Touch - you can do this too. Neat and versatile.

....interesting, why is the SB architecture better than DLNA? Is that information based on TCP/IP based networking or, based on Sound Quality alone for whatever technical reason?

Well, both SB and DLNA use TCP/IP, and there is no intrinsic reason either should better. It is simply a question of functionality - and some of the shortcomings of DLNA is not the fault of DLNA in itself, but the implementations.

Stuff that the DLNA systems I have experience with have been struggling with are synchronized multi-device streaming, gapless playback and a lack of a standardised plug-in architecture for expanding functionality.

IIRC:

You need to enter your Squeezebox online user name and password on the Touch, then you can connect to mysqueezebox.com ... also check you've registered your Spotify user name and password at mysqueezebox.com under 'Apps'!

To switch mode day to day, at the top level of the Touch menu you choose whether you want mysqueezebox.com or your local server.

wrt to the DLNA vs squeezebox I think that SB has a huge advantage in controlling both the server and client end. It makes guaranteeing comms so much easier. Another plus I thought was the open architecture and ability for 3rd party plugins.

I haven't had much to with Sonos but i know it is the other (now only) big player.

We were hoping to play the free spotify to an SB3 - not a touch. But that doesn't sound very promising.

Just to be ultra-clear, although you CAN switch to mysqueezebox.com to use Spotify without any local server as described, it's normal to enjoy a seamless mix of local and Spotify music by just using your local server for everything!

advertisement

Back