advertisement

Sports car chat

I had a 156 when they where new. Only fwd I had where left foot braking actually worked. Reliability? Let's put it like this: I've had high status expensive German cars with much more trouble.
A funny note. When the 156 had just arrived from the factory and stood outside the dealer in all cover wax glory, I noted something that looked like an yoghurt cup on the parcel shelf. 'Bloody hell, not only did the communist Italian workers eat their breakfast in my car, they even left the trash behind!!!' The dealer comforted me, it was cream to remove the cover wax :)

A very keen driver (done some rally driving in the past) friend of mine reckons the Giulia Quadrifoglio is best 4 door car he has ever driven from performance/handling point of view.
But he hasn't bought one...

First car was an Alfasud. Fantastic little thing but I think it started rusting the day it was made.

Had a D reg XR3i like that, the "Ford 6 year no quibble corrosion warranty" was worthless and it rapidly became clear that they'd take it to court.

Thus the next car wasn't the Cossie Sierra and the next combine was a John Deere; never given a p since.

Wouldn't call it a sports car, but it'll see them all off.

It's an HSV commodore gts-r (vt2) / but with a built motor, low comp forged pistons, steel rods, blower cam, headers, cam etc and a Whipple on top. And some big AP brakes! Have a Whipple 175ax waiting to go on... 25% more airfow.

Any gear will have you sideways on a roundabout and will light up the rears on an uneven dry road in 4th...

Great fun to drive - I'd use it more if I wanted to wake the neighbours up as early as I leave the house..
I had a Monaro VXR which had so much scope for improvement. LS2 which was not even woken up at 400bhp, lazy delivery waiting for a 'charger that I didn't have the funds for at the time. It was surprisingly controllable for a big comfortable boat!

Old old thing but 320bhp and 4wd lifesaver from my own driving!

2.2 na, slow on the straights but difficult to stay with on any bend.

130i with low rent interior, no room in the back, 3.0 and 280 bhp. I got my first points in this - 99 on the motorway and didn't realise it.

The wife's s/c mini. Great fun.

Seen this already

400bhp from 6 litres. So much more could be gleaned from this. TERRIBLE BRAKES.

https://i.postimg.cc/hQT2S7q6/1651213459424.jpg[
/img][/URL]

It wasn't really a sports car, but in the early eighties I had a red 2lt Alfa Romeo Guilietta.(you had to have red).

I think it was the last conventionally aspirated model. It had a double overhead cam, all aluminium engine canted at 30 degrees to reduce height, with a hardened crankshaft. Two down-draught, twin-choke Webber carburettors. The gearbox was strapped to a deDion back axle to give better weight distribution, as it had no power steering.
It was a delight to drive, though the gearstick felt like a wooden spoon in a pudding basin after my "Life on Mars" 2lt Cortina GXL.

It would see off those, "biscuit tins with an engine," (Ford XR3s) though being around, I think, 300lb heavier.
Unfortunately, "it rusted to death."

Funny that they recommned it as the best sports saloon!

They do, but they put the "Thrill of driving" above everything else. including build quality. For me, s**t falling off the steering wheel at less than 10k miles is a show stopper.

AFAIC, Alfa peaked build-wise with the 159 / 166 / Brera / Spider, but that's based on test drives only - my only experience with Italian cars is a succession of 90s and 00s Fiats owned by mum and one Fiat Brava owned by me which was so shockingly badly slung together, it's put me off Italian cars for life.

My other half hat a couple of Fiats & they were pretty good. VW can be a bit hit & miss, Honda are exceptional. My wife’s Civic Type R was a hoot & totally reliable.

Had a D reg XR3i like that, the "Ford 6 year no quibble corrosion warranty" was worthless and it rapidly became clear that they'd take it to court.

Thus the next car wasn't the Cossie Sierra and the next combine was a John Deere; never given a p since.
We forget how bad all cars of that era were for rusting, with the notable exceptions of Volvos and VW from the Mk2 Golf on. I had an 86 C Fiesta, rusty holes in the rear valance by 7 years. Another 88 model had a holed windscreen surround by the same age. Both were rock reliable though to 90k miles. However The Indestructible Mondeo went on to 15 years and 160k miles, no perforation but it was on the way and mechanically approaching the end. I still rate Fords. It's fashionable to deride them as rough and ready but they have never failed to do a job for me.

There's no denying that Alfa have made some very pretty cars. The only thing that always bugs me about them though, is the way the front number plate is mounted. It just looks wrong over to one side, so much so that it completely destroys the otherwise stunning lines, thus undoing the visual appeal completely. IMHO of course.

80's Fords had a reputation of being dust after about 60k miles. Back in the day nobody would touch one with higher miles than that. There was (is) a reason that Ford parts were dirt cheap compared to most other marques, they needed to be to be able to afford to keep them running.

There's no denying that Alfa have made some very pretty cars. The only thing that always bugs me about them though, is the way the front number plate is mounted. It just looks wrong over to one side, so much so that it completely destroys the otherwise stunning lines, thus undoing the visual appeal completely. IMHO of course.
In the eye of the beholder etc.

They do, but they put the "Thrill of driving" above everything else. including build quality. For me, s**t falling off the steering wheel at less than 10k miles is a show stopper.

AFAIC, Alfa peaked build-wise with the 159 / 166 / Brera / Spider, but that's based on test drives only - my only experience with Italian cars is a succession of 90s and 00s Fiats owned by mum and one Fiat Brava owned by me which was so shockingly badly slung together, it's put me off Italian cars for life.
The Giulia is way ahead in build quality compared to previous models.

advertisement

Back