advertisement

Split Enz...

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
I think I am guilty of mentioning these guys before but I just love their music, especially the early stuff.
I remember a friend of mine was bought the first LP Mental Notes by his parents on a trip to London because they thought it was odd and he would like it. I was there at the time and I loved it too.
I have been doing a bit of digging and hunting around resulting in the purchase of 2 of their early vinyl albums to add to my collection. They are both Australian versions for a very good reason. The LP version of "Mental Notes" as released in the UK on Chrysalis is the same as the cd entitled "Second Thoughts" and was recorded in 1976 in London after Phil Manzanera took them under his wing. The original "Mental Notes" was recorded in 1975 and to get that on vinyl you have to get the NZ or Australian versions. The cover is slightly different because of line up changes between 1975 and 1976.
There is an LP and a cd of the really early stuff from the pre Mental Notes era called "The Beginning of the Enz" but beware, the UK vinyl version is completely different to the NZ or Australian version. The UK version is just a compilation of later stuff from "Dizrythmia" You have to get the NZ or Australian version. I have the Australian versions of these albums "The Beginning of the Enz" and "Mental Notes" on order now.....
If you like quirky prog with catchy tunes then these are the guys to listen to. I think that's a 'Tron in the video but I have never seen one in that sort of context...

https://youtu.be/xozOG3Z3p3o

Yes I always thought there was something about them based on the hit single.

I might check them out but hope the album isnt heavy with polyfilla like the Men At Work album.

Both versions of the first album are excellent, they did become more commercial afterwards, but still very good.

Yes I always thought there was something about them based on the hit single.

I might check them out but hope the album isnt heavy with polyfilla like the Men At Work album.

What!!!

I've loved that album (Business As Usual) since a friend brought back a copy on tape 6 months before they hit the UK in 1982.

What's not to love?!!!

I remember seeing their first hit single "I Got You" air on Australian TV show 'Countdown' around 1980? The recording still has a nice atmosphere to it.

Ps. I'll have no Men at Work knocking here! I met the main songwriter Colin Hay when he player a small gig in my hometown in Ireland. Yes got a great voice.

A lot of the Finn brothers output is great stuff. Shame they couldn't really get on with each other, but then I guess thats hardly unique in the Pop world. The early Crowded House albums are very good pop & I remember seeing CH live a few times.

"I got you" was the first single I ever bought. I still have it somewhere, it's a decent enough pop song of its time. I didn't realise for many years, long after Crowded House had been and gone, that it was the Finn brothers.

Any Ozzie members will appreciate this clip from our version of Top of the Pops.
Really high production values for that era...I feel old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Six months in a leaky boat was supposed to be their UK breakthrough single, but the Falklands war started and it was put on the banned list.

I saw them play at Leicester Poly in 1978 (supported by The Only Ones). I went straight out the next day and bought Dizrythmia. Still one of my favourite albums.

I got Waiata when it came out and then went back to True Colours. They are both still spun every so often. They might work for you if you like a more synthy sound.

Moments of brilliance - remember them well from my teenage years. Tim Finn peaked with his Blue Canoe solo album.

The original Australasian Mental Notes and Beginning of the Enz: 24 carat treasures. Time & Tide: hot on the heels. Enz of an Era is one of those rare consistent and excellent singles compilations.

The remastered CD of MN beats my more murky original White Cloud LP.

Magnificent, effortless arrangements and drumming on MN. Paul Crowther, inventor of the Hot Cake, later kicked out for being too good? The soliloquy of "Under The Wheel".

The growth and optimism of Beginning Of The Enz. "Spellbound" - the crowning closing track with its gaze on a soaring seagull (or is it an albatross?). Completely opposite in feel to the later version on MN. What a beautiful day.

Both Finn brothers have a body of work with some amazing songs spread over nearly 40 years. Neil, particularly is still producing brilliant music today.

What!!!

I've loved that album (Business As Usual) since a friend brought back a copy on tape 6 months before they hit the UK in 1982.

What's not to love?!!!

Yes Im being slightly harsh but Im not the only one. I have it on vinyl (which makes me an audiophile :D) and its a reasonably good play made all the better with the cast iron hits.

This is one of several headline reviews mentioning filler

AllMusic Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Business as Usual became a surprise international hit on the basis of "Who Can It Be Now?" and "Down Under," two excellent singles that merged straight-ahead pop/rock hooks with a quirky new wave production and an offbeat sense of humor. Colin Hay's keening vocals uncannily recall Sting, and the band's rhythmic pulse and phased guitars also bring to mind a bar band version of the Police. And that helps make the remainder of Business as Usual enjoyable. There's a fair amount of filler on the record, but "Be Good Johnny," "I Can See It in Your Eyes," and "Down by the Sea" are all fine new wave pop songs, making Business as Usual one of the more enjoyable mainstream-oriented efforts of the era.

There are clearly highlights on the album but it doesnt qualify for an "all killer, no filler" award :)

Yeah, there is some filler on Business as Usual.

A good era for Australian music. Inxs were really good in their early days.

Then there was Rose Tattoo (Slash quotes them as a G'n'R influence)

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back