advertisement

Spitfire!!

The 109 pilots were far more battle hardened compared to the Spitfire & Hurricane pilots with very few hours under their belt.

Maybe, but the Polish pilots did have many hours under their belts, hence their high success rate.

The outcome of the Battle of Britain could have been very different if the Spitfire and Hurricane had only had 4 guns like the Gladiator which preceded them.
Somehow six Gladiators kept the Italian Air Force at bay over Malta for some weeks before being reinforced.

Spent some time today reading the log book of a spitfire pilot, hope to post a couple of pics when I can . Fascinating.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Never meet your heroes

Sorry to hear that, I enjoyed reading both books.

I also enjoyed reading Harald Penrose writing about his test flying experiences. Capt. Eric Brown is someone I would have loved to have met. He was CO at RNAS Fulmar (now RAF Lossiemouth) when I was a boy. These two writers impressed me with the methodology and thinking about their test flying. Both managed to survive test incidents that killed other pilots Penrose's account of his crash landing following the propeller bearing failure in the Wyvern was memorable.

Sorry to hear that, I enjoyed reading both books.

I also enjoyed reading Harald Penrose writing about his test flying experiences. Capt. Eric Brown is someone I would have loved to have met. He was CO at RNAS Fulmar (now RAF Lossiemouth) when I was a boy. These two writers impressed me with the methodology and thinking about their test flying. Both managed to survive test incidents that killed other pilots Penrose's account of his crash landing following the propeller bearing failure in the Wyvern was memorable.
Yes, I've also read those books, and Eric Brown was also a hero. Didn't get to meet him, but by all accounts a likeable man (I used to work for the publisher that published both authors, plus others in the same field).

Eric Brown was also a hero

There was a a documentary I saw about him last year. Really enjoyed it. He holds the record for carrier landings, apparently the US Navy lined up a pilot to take it off Eric, but the poor guy lost his nerve before he got there. Carrier landings must be the most stressful thing ever. A bit like landing a glider but much faster and the runway goes up and down!

advertisement

Back