advertisement

Spendor for desktop and analytical nearfield listening

Hififriend

pfm Member
Hello it's about Spendor and possibly ProAc. Actual desktop speakers are Dali Menuet SE on Isoacoustics stands, I bought 2 months ago. Amplifier is Exposure 3010 s2d or Naim Supernait 2 or Sudgen A21 SE Signature.

I love B&W CDM 1 and B&W 601 S2 is only nice for drums and 3d sound with The Corrs live unplugged CD, for the rest it is too harsh.

I love Rotel RA-980 Bx integrated amplifier but not musical enough. I love Cambridge A500 but not dynamic enough and not enough details.

My music is jazz, female vocals and would like emotions with refinement of violins, flutes, acoustic guitars, saxophones etc especially with classical music.

My questions:
As I demoed Spendor A7 with latest Technics 4k amplifier which measured the room ... and liked it really very much.

I do not need too much bass.
1) For my desktop system: Would the Spendor S3/5 R2 be better in nearfield listening as my Dali Menuet SE.
2) I sit at 1-1,5 m from the speakers with 1,3 m distance apart

Spendor A7 or D7.2 will be bought only in a few years but I would like to know the Spendor sound right now.
Spendor S3/5 R2 (R, SE) or Classic 4/5 for desktop (Harbeth P3 are too expensive for me) ?
ProAc Tablette 10 for desktop listening ?
I heard Proac D30R and they had so much bass I hated them at a dealer with Sudgen A21 SE Signature, could be wrong placement, but I hate too much bass and I have neighbours around.

I would like to get all details, in a Sudgen "warmer" manner for longer listening sessions (12 hours /day)
while working and then suitable for analytical listening too without any fatigue.

I would like to both get in touch with ProAc and Spendor sound.

Thanks a lot for your appreciation.
Kind regards.
Hififriend

If you love detail, then you should audition Proac Tablette 10, they certainly won’t hit you with bass, but are very detailed.

The D30R is meant for a very large space, otherwise you will get pummelled with sound force (as you did).

Spendor A1 or Classic 4/5 probably also up your street.

If you love detail, then you should audition Proac Tablette 10, they certainly won’t hit you with bass, but are very detailed.

The D30R is meant for a very large space, otherwise you will get pummelled with sound force (as you did).

Spendor A1 or Classic 4/5 probably also up your street.

Hello. The D30 R was in a 6 x 5 m room at audition. I totally forgot about the A1. How different is it compared to 3/5 ? And how good are my Dalis compared to the Spendor you mentioned ?? And the vintage 1 SC compared to Tablette 10 ? Only heard from YT that the british audiophile loves his set. Thanks for your feedback.

I think 6 x 5 is still too small for that speaker, the bass output is huge.
Your Dali’s are very good speakers, and I imagine compare quite well to Spendor, but with a different flavour, Spendor house sound generally being quite gentle.
The 1SC is warmer than the Tab 10, not as detailed sounding. Only your own preferences can say which you would prefer.
Not directly compared A1 vs 3/5 myself.

I think 6 x 5 is still too small for that speaker, the bass output is huge.
Your Dali’s are very good speakers, and I imagine compare quite well to Spendor, but with a different flavour, Spendor house sound generally being quite gentle.
The 1SC is warmer than the Tab 10, not as detailed sounding. Only your own preferences can say which you would prefer.
Not directly compared A1 vs 3/5 myself.

Hello Bronzeage. My Sudgen Dac-4 I got today changes a little bit the sound... to the good. Wav files from Pc witth Supra digital RCA to Sudgen Dac-4, then with Wireworld Eclipse 7 RCA cables in the Exposure 3010 s2d preamp, then with WW Luna 7 (not yet a 2nd pair of Eclipse 7) in a Rotel RB-980 BX power amp, with Tellurium Q Black II cables in the Dali Menuet SE. Drums from Curt Cress sound so spatial and metallic, then I also really enjoyed "Little wing" The Corrs unplugged. For the first time after 30 hours the Dali have now, I turned up the volume and wow, at lower levels I suppose the difference to the Classic 4/5 will be less important, as I will listen at low to middle levels, only for an hour or so I will listen analytically what I really enjoyed today.

Perhaps the Classic 4/5 will show less details at low level listenings, but perhaps it will be less fatiguing, as I will not concentrate too much to details.

Well I would like to 1. know Spendor sound and 2. experience a warmer sound which actually I think brings less emotions in the moment but could be right for 10 hours/ day listenings.

Some people told me the Classic 4/5 could be the right ones, sounding between older Spendor sound and the Proac Tablette 10.

Ah Ok, then the room for the D30 R still was too small, good to know, so they will never fit my living room, but I also thought about the ProAc D2 R, but my neighbours do not like hearing my bass, and I myself do not need a lot of bass.

Apparently Spendor S3/5 R2 have less bass than my Dali Menuet SE.
What about the Classic 4/5 ?
Do they have a little more bass as for classical music I enjoy the Dali bass and do not consider it as being too much, perhaps because of the Isoacoustics mini stands.

Kind regards.
Hififriend

Hmm, given the BBC heritage of Spendor, I would guess they are less bassy than the Dali, maybe not as sharp sounding, but softer in nature. Afraid only home demo can tell you what is best for you, but based on what I have actually heard between Proac and Spendor, Spendor is a softer, less dynamic sound, maybe better suited to classical but not something you are going to rock out on so much. A few rows back in the theatre, so to speak.

Hello it's about Spendor and possibly ProAc. Actual desktop speakers are Dali Menuet SE on Isoacoustics stands, I bought 2 months ago. Amplifier is Exposure 3010 s2d or Naim Supernait 2 or Sudgen A21 SE Signature.

I love B&W CDM 1 and B&W 601 S2 is only nice for drums and 3d sound with The Corrs live unplugged CD, for the rest it is too harsh.

I love Rotel RA-980 Bx integrated amplifier but not musical enough. I love Cambridge A500 but not dynamic enough and not enough details.

My music is jazz, female vocals and would like emotions with refinement of violins, flutes, acoustic guitars, saxophones etc especially with classical music.

My questions:
As I demoed Spendor A7 with latest Technics 4k amplifier which measured the room ... and liked it really very much.

I do not need too much bass.
1) For my desktop system: Would the Spendor S3/5 R2 be better in nearfield listening as my Dali Menuet SE.
2) I sit at 1-1,5 m from the speakers with 1,3 m distance apart

Spendor A7 or D7.2 will be bought only in a few years but I would like to know the Spendor sound right now.
Spendor S3/5 R2 (R, SE) or Classic 4/5 for desktop (Harbeth P3 are too expensive for me) ?
ProAc Tablette 10 for desktop listening ?
I heard Proac D30R and they had so much bass I hated them at a dealer with Sudgen A21 SE Signature, could be wrong placement, but I hate too much bass and I have neighbours around.

I would like to get all details, in a Sudgen "warmer" manner for longer listening sessions (12 hours /day)
while working and then suitable for analytical listening too without any fatigue.

I would like to both get in touch with ProAc and Spendor sound.

Thanks a lot for your appreciation.
Kind regards.
Hififriend

Graham, Harbeth and Stirling might be worth exploring.

All I know is Sugden A21 SE with Tablette 10 is a marriage made in heaven that creates a major addiction.
I saw many audiophile coming back to the Tablettes with similar amps as they didn’t find that little magical thing anywhere else although their previous setup were 5 times more costly.
If I wasn’t a bass freak, that would be my final kit.

I found the Spendor S3/5’s to have a warmth that was absent from my ProAc Tablette reference 8 signatures many moons ago. I currently have the Spendor A1’s, which still have that heritage BBC monitor presentation.
I’ve not heard the latest Tablettes but they are also infinite baffle too so probably very little in it. From the reviews I’ve read though, the latest Tablettes seem to excel at detail and the bass is not at all overwhelming which might suit your specific needs better? The Spendors are not shy on bass for near-field listening.

thanks to all, I suppose I won't buy any of ProAcs or Spendors blindly. Apparently the actual 3/5 seller does not want to sell as he does not accept my offer. Unfortunately we have only 1 spendor seller at 150 km from me and this guy wanted to sell me for 160 eur his CD magic spray as I thought hearing the voice of Toto better after he sprayed my old CD with this magic. Not easy and the seller of ProAc has lots of problems to get a Tablette 10 for demo.

…one thing I will say, these are not difficult speakers to sell on if they are not your bag….probably at a minimal loss too. So should you take a chance on a sensibly priced second hand pair I don’t think you will be stuck with them …..

Having used a whole bunch of speakers on my desk, I've settled on some AVI Neutrons. Amazing little things. Well worth considering. And go for a song when they pop up.

Whichever, definitely invest in some proper stands that get the tweeter near ear level.

advertisement

Back