advertisement

Spendor BC1 - One side quieter

All drivers working - and all even in each speaker - meaning the balance between the bass driver and the tweeters is the same in both even though one enclosure is overall much quieter than the other. There's not more output coming from one driver or the other on either of the speakers, just an overall volume difference between left and right. When the balance is adjusted on the pre, it's all sounding great - no missing bands or frequencies to my ears. But I don't understand how that could happen... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The grilles have two different types of polyfoam under the fabric - I'm guessing the material started to sag at one point.

I trust you're not using them with the grilles on!?:eek:

Big fan of Spendor and especially earlier ones here and use BCII's. The ones the OP bought are the ones I wouldn't have touched with a barge pole though! The white surrounds are known to be troublesome...

All drivers working - and all even in each speaker - meaning the balance between the bass driver and the tweeters is the same in both even though one enclosure is overall much quieter than the other. There's not more output coming from one driver or the other on either of the speakers, just an overall volume difference between left and right. When the balance is adjusted on the pre, it's all sounding great - no missing bands or frequencies to my ears. But I don't understand how that could happen... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The grilles have two different types of polyfoam under the fabric - I'm guessing the material started to sag at one point.

Yes it does sag, badly. Most people don't replace the foam but yours looked a bit 'fatter'

Yes it does sag, badly. Most people don't replace the foam but yours looked a bit 'fatter'

Yeah, I might make a new set and swap the badges over and keep the originals safe if I ever decide to open a museum or something. This material has hardened and lost it's flexibility.

Be very careful if replacing the capacitors, the sound signature will change if you get it wrong. Jantzen superior z we’re the best I found.

Extremely unlikely to be anything wrong with the crossover and in the unlikely event that there is I would use bog standard commercial grade film caps. Many of the originals are polycarbonate BTW.

Very odd that it says "right" on the back of that one and in Dymo lettering... they are not in any way "handed".

I trust you're not using them with the grilles on!?:eek:

Big fan of Spendor and especially earlier ones here and use BCII's. The ones the OP bought are the ones I wouldn't have touched with a barge pole though! The white surrounds are known to be troublesome...
Painful to read but unfortunately 100% true about the surround...........

Extremely unlikely to be anything wrong with the crossover and in the unlikely event that there is I would use bog standard commercial grade film caps. Many of the originals are polycarbonate BTW.

Very odd that it says "right" on the back of that one and in Dymo lettering... they are not in any way "handed".

Yeah! And that this guy was an electrical engineer I'm wondering if he did something to this quiet one labelled "RIGHT". Re the caps - I have no idea about capacitors beyond how they are used in guitars. But I have read elsewhere that the Spendor man recommended against using fancy ones.

Painful to read but unfortunately 100% true about the surround...........

I live life on the edge, throw speaker surround material caution to the wind!

Joking aside - they sound so good, riding them out into the sunset feels worth it if I get a few years out of them. Not that they were cheap! €750

I live life on the edge, throw speaker surround material caution to the wind!

Joking aside - they sound so good, riding them out into the sunset feels worth it if I get a few years out of them. Not that they were cheap! €750
If you know someone who's good with a multimeter, get them to check the values of the components on the two crossovers to see if there's any variation between the two.

To be honest, though I'm not too electronically savvy, I can't see what else it could be

You could maybe try and contact Spendor direct and see what their thoughts on the matter may be.

Andy

advertisement

Back