advertisement

Speker terminals on Linn Knekt

garyi

leave blank
I have secured a linn knekt on ebay, the speaker terminals look a bit different to normal, does anyone know what kind of connectors are required?

They made some with screw down connections, I think spades would be best with them.

@atcman is selling one here (assuming it is the Knekt Roomamp you're talking about), might be worth throwing him an offer.

I have already purchased one on ebay.

They dont look like screw down, more like a reverse phono socket kind of thing.

I have already purchased one on ebay.

They dont look like screw down, more like a reverse phono socket kind of thing.
Have you got a picture?

It sounds like you have a "screw down" version with the collars missing to me.

Ah, they’re BFA sockets… in the mid/late 90s, the EU decided that banana plugs on both ends of a speaker cable were dangerous because they could be inserted into European wall sockets… only a few British manufacturers took any notice (Linn, Arcam, Cyrus and Myriad I think) and this is what they came up with.

The plugs listed above are perfect, or you can use Z plugs like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39344588...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Or if you’re in a pinch, you can shove the bare wires in the holes, not ideal but it’ll work.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
What are you using the amp for? If you’re using it as a normal power amp, I recommend opening it up and disconnecting the line receiver board, it saves back driving into it with your preamp and takes a small amount of load off the power supply. It’s a decent sounding little power amp used like this, I even used one to get some active Kabers running (with a tunebox).

I would appreciate if you could explain how? I saw online I could just plug the source to the output which seems alarming but apparently that’s how it’s done.

For now it’s going on a headphone dac just for my computer speakers but I may get another if successful for a pair of linn sweet spots I have in the kitchen. Mind you they sound like shite so it will have to perform some magic for sure .

Yep, basically, you just open it up, remove the screws from the rear and the standoffs that are securing the line receiver board, lift it out and remove the cable/pins that connect the two boards together. What you have then is just a power amplifier, all the Knekt bits are disconnected and the “preout” becomes an input. It’ll still work with the line receiver connected, but I definitely prefer to disconnect/remove it for best performance and long term reliability. It’s a 10 minute job.

OK so I have it in the house, removed the ribbon cable s directed. When plugged back in it has no power. If I connect the board back up it has power again?

I mean it works so thats something. I wouldn't call it loud though, in fact I can put it to max volume and it be ok, does that sound right?

I am just hooking a USB dac straight to it with volume control obviously

OK so I have it in the house, removed the ribbon cable s directed. When plugged back in it has no power. If I connect the board back up it has power again?
It might put the power light out but the amp board should still work… no matter. The gain is the same as all other Linn power amps, it might be that the output voltage of your DAC is a little low. It is only 25 watts RMS per channel but that has nothing to do with the gain and it should still go reasonably loud into most speakers before breaking a sweat.

Yeah its alright. Its only a pair of Wharfdale 9s so as a set not exactly world breaking but fine for the kitchen. There is no output if that ribbon is unplugged so I left it plugged in.

It sounds like 40 quid basically :)

Yeah its alright. Its only a pair of Wharfdale 9s so as a set not exactly world breaking but fine for the kitchen. There is no output if that ribbon is unplugged so I left it plugged in.

It sounds like 40 quid basically :)
Right, I’m surprised by that. I have a few Direktors knocking around which are to all intents and purposes the same product in a different box as far as I’m aware (but with an integrated RCU). I had one with a faulty line receiver card, so disconnected which left me with a small but pretty decent power amp.

advertisement

Back