advertisement

Speakers that work well with NAP250

My experience of SBL's which I had from new and got rid of after a year, they were also set up by a main dealer.

A low cost alternative is the Ruark Talisman. An excellent soeaker, for some reason they seem to sell for nothing nowadays and they certainly worked well with my Nap250 for the best part of ten years. Far more forgiving than SBL's although SBL's when right can sound sublime they often don't.

I am using my 250 in combo with Neat Ultimatum MFS. Very rewarding.
Couple of weeks ago I tried them with Harbeth SHL5's, very different sound compared to the MFS's. And it made me curious, the SHL5's where a bit wooly in the bass and now I am considering M30.1's. After testing them first of course, the 250 stays though....

Ive got the SBLs sounding better now by moving them slightly away from the wall and slightly closer together. Has more bass now. Nice controlled bass, which was why I starting trying alternatives to the GR20s in the first place. I still have the overall problem that they are not really gutsy enough for some music and in pushing up the volume they become harsh. In fact the harshness is an issue in general, even slight sibilance at times.

They do some things very well, but I dont think they are going to suit me long term.

Ive got the SBLs sounding better now by moving them slightly away from the wall and slightly closer together. Has more bass now. Nice controlled bass, which was why I starting trying alternatives to the GR20s in the first place. I still have the overall problem that they are not really gutsy enough for some music and in pushing up the volume they become harsh. In fact the harshness is an issue in general, even slight sibilance at times.

They do some things very well, but I dont think they are going to suit me long term.

Any speaker will work well with a NAP250 if you disconnect the tweeters :D

Olive, CB or black 250? Ultimately I enjoy the 160 a fair bit more with my SBLs, even the Nait1. But my mate loves the 250, so I didn't get rid of it yet.

Olive 250

I am tempted to try changing the tweeters in case it does work as the SBLs are very nice in many other ways and work well in my room.

advertisement

Back