advertisement

Speakers int' roof

garyi

leave blank
Hi team.

I fancy some ceiling speakers for the bedroom and bathroom, bedroom 'cause there is no room and bathroom just because.

I notice 100v speakers go for peanuts on ebay but rather get the impression that its a ball acher?

My limited understanding is you need an amp for them then you do some dohicky to them to make them of sufficient wattage that the amp is not burdened.

Well anyway, really i just want a simple way to get sound to speakers in the ceiling, the plan was to simply hock up an airport express to the amp to pick and choose music. Happy days.

Is there a simple solution that is cheap and cheerful? (I preferably not involving the word Volts which always gives me the shivers.

Just remove the transformers from the "100 Volt Line" and you are left with normal speakers.
If you want quite a lot of speakers and for them all to be on at the same time in several rooms then the 100 Volt Line method then comes into it's own. It's not great for sound quality generally though! You would need a pair of 100 Volt Line step up transformers at the amplifier end.

I can recommend Kef Ci series, just installed some myself that I got for a very good price used from an auction site and they sound superb, quick spray over the grilles and they looked like brand new :D

Martin

It is vital that you keep an eye on the total impedance the amp is driving.
You will likely run into problems (blown amp) if the speakers in three rooms must play at the same time......

Depends on the amp. In the days of youth i've been connecting a lot of different speakers to some common amps and never run into problem. Perhaps those exotic, sophisticated amps are more fuzzy and YMMV.

Indeed it depends on the amp... And how loud you are play
ing it....
Most amps are specified for minimum of 4 ohm load though.
May well be fine until someone turns it up loud with all speakers on... Then phut .. Magic smoke released !

advertisement

Back