advertisement

Speakers for the telly

You've got me going there, Captain ! 12 y.o. Sony ready for DIY bodging but unfortunately I.B. (sealed box) spkrs; inefficient) but good stands. However, I have to go up to almost max on BBC (via Virgin) just to properly activate the internal spkrs so I guess it's a case of whether my external spkrs are more efficient than the internal ones.

I think that whoever designed spkrs in TVs to fire backwards/upwards must've been on sth. My previous Sony CRT was fine.

Yup I think I fluked it with my missions experiment: they must be pretty damn efficient then if I worry I'll blow 'em up with the tv vol more than 8/10. The sh1te puny tv speakers OTOH at this vol, were distorting & not very loud.

When I visit my folks, who have a similar sort of flat tv/ similar age, I'm shocked at the awful tinny/ thin sound bc I'm so used to my set up.

This wasn't really a thing until they made TVs too thin to fit speakers into. Before that it was more like a speaker cabinet with a TV tube in.

I am using a pair of Q Acoustics BT3 active speakers with my LG television. The dialogue is very clear when I watch films with my family. The optical output of the TV is connected to the optical input of the BT3 speakers. The sound is excellent compared to the built in TV speakers.

I use the headphone jack.
If your h/ph outlet is like mine and others, volume is controlled by the interior amplification, which is TV, not hifi, quality, and you're amplifying twice, in effect. Okay, it's a way of getting a signal, but I wouldn't use my cans on it, let alone quality reproducers. If your B &O actives have controls and your TV has line outs (whether RCA or whatever), you'll improve s.q. Unfortunately you'll presumably lose remote function. Life's really unfair sometimes ! :(

SQ is good enough for TV. Kinda hi-fi though I’ll admit to that. I need remote operation of the volume anyway.

My " den,"alright our front room at 9' x 12' is only half as long as our lounge.
So I like to keep things tidy. My vintage Goodmans Havant speakers are tucked to the sides of this big wall unit, on multi-directional brackets.

I can run the sound from the TV, or the two Humax tuner/recorders, a Virgin Tivo box and a CD/DVD player under it, through my equally vintage Leak 2000 tuner/amp. Plus my turntable, cassette deck and two jukebox wall box selectors on which I can select mp3s on vintage ipods.

This vintage audio selector facilitates this.

But I've a Sony soundbar under my Sony android TV. I only use the "night" control to take the bass of anything other than music programmes and the "speech" when there's a lot of dialogue.

To mount the soundbar where it wouldn't be "in my face" took a bit of fettling.

I don’t think I’ve used my tv speakers for at least 15 years.

Audiolab av processor into a Lyngdorf amp and 4.2 system here. No centre channel needed imo if you have a decent centre image, I prefer to use mains with a ‘phantom’ centre channel, mine is a living sized room, not a cinema sized room!

Haven’t bothered with atmos, yet.

Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, make for amazing tv speakers. They hook straight onto the wall, so no need for stands or wall brackets, and they pack quite a punch for very little money.

A lot of TV programming is mixed heavily boom and tizz, so a speaker with strong midrange can help intelligibility

Like others, I use my main system for the TV sound. My elderly parents were looking for a soundbar and were also looking for something to play music through. I suggested they get a Muso, they are really happy with it and it can easily cope with their hearing loss. Another benefit was that my stepfather discovered the joys of internet radio via the Naim app and has found a Jazz station that plays the flavour of Jazz he likes.

Spendor S3/5R driven by a Quad 303 here.

I really couldn’t cope with built-in speakers or a cheap consumer electronics soundbar or whatever. A proper broadcast monitor-grade system such as this makes following dialogue so easy even at very low volume. I’m 60 years old, but with the above I can so easily follow dialogue at a level of around 65db max at my seat (just measured it now, this is my typical level for TV).
Dear Tony,

I cannot believe that you are 60 years old! I have been a member of Pink Fish Media since the early days. I always think that you are in your 40s. I am 57 now.

Hon

advertisement

Back