pfm Member
HI Everyone

Current setup

NAP 180/NAC 82/1 FC
Rega P6, Ania/Rega fono
Bluesound node 2
Naim CD5x
Kef r700

Ive had the 82 now for over a year after going from a 102 am really pleased with it but since going to Naim 2 years ago my speakers have always sounded a bit harsh almost fatiguing.

I am considering new speakers to match these monsters as I have a large sitting room and although haven't heard them was thinking of something like PMC OB1's

Does anyone own a pair of these speakers with Naim gear? Or can recommend a similar priced match?

Thanks Guys.

Try and get a demo of a 2nd hand Nap250. The harshness could be from the 180.
Literally the most brittle system I ever heard was an 82/180 into Tukans. Sounded like scalpels dropping onto a tile floor!
Adding a Hicap immensely improved things replacing harshness with detail and textures.
The 82 really needs at least one Hicap. I'm not sure the FC is sufficient.

Literally the most brittle system I ever heard was an 82/180 into Tukans. Sounded like scalpels dropping onto a tile floor!
Adding a Hicap immensely improved things replacing harshness with detail and textures.
The 82 really needs at least one Hicap. I'm not sure the FC is sufficient.
Can’t say I fully agree but either hi-cap or 250 would help. The great thing about either option is that they are easy to sell on.

Im currently using a pair of harbeth p3 and they sound fantastic…no harshness whatsoever.. i have always used a pair of kef’s 104/2 and Epos es12 with great results… i am using a cb hicap with my 82 and i did recap my 180 a couple of years back. I did notice a difference in bass response after the recap of the 180.

but since going to Naim 2 years ago my speakers have always sounded a bit harsh almost fatiguing.
What? A Naim system sounding "harsh" and "fatiguing"? Surely not!

Well, my solution to the problem was some Shahinians, which partner very well with Naim and easily fill a "large sitting room" (in fact, they sound best when given room to breathe). New, they're very expensive. Used they're bargainous. I used Arcs and Obelisks very successfully with Naim for decades.

The last speaker I'd try would be one of Naim's own offerings, which always seemed to me to exacerbate the problem.

Chris,

I currently run a 72/140 into PMC OB1s as an AV system, and this works really well for me. I've also tried them on the end of the main system (82/hicap/135s) and they were good there too.

The OB1 tweeter is very smooth, and they 'upgraded' it in the OB1i. I think the original sounds great, so i'd not worry about which version you end up with if you go this route as they are both excellent to my ears.

Seeing as the amps have been fettled recently I‘d look at adding a Teddy Pardo PSU to the 82 and hearing some ProAc or Spendors on the end on the 180. I prefer TP to Naim power supplies as they ease off on the amps slightly aggressive nature a wee bit but don’t totally kill off the fun and drive.

Ruark
Dynaudio
Shahinian

All a good match for Naim as they have a refined top end but don’t lack detail.

Unfortunately Naim amps can sound harsh, I’ve been there when my bucket list speakers (new Naim SBL’s) which were very short lived.

I’m a big fan of Teddy products so as Amber suggested, a dual teddycap could be the answer. Easy to sell on if you don’t like it.

Speakers are like car colours, we all have our favourites. If imaging does not matter to you then take a listen to NVA cubes (basically a redesign of the Allison speakers). Shahinians, in my opinion would also be worth a demo.

Ultimately, it’s your ears and your money so buy what works for you and not because somebody here suggested to get product x erc.

Neat or Ruark. Not owned Neats but heard them and I think they'd suit you but I did have Ruark Talisman 3s and they were really nice with my Naim system

A 180 sounds wonderful with the appropriate soft dome tweeters.
It's a long time ago but I remember it was perfect with some vintage Epos ES14 and B&W DM4 speakers.

since going to Naim 2 years ago my speakers have always sounded a bit harsh almost fatiguing.
What were you using before Naim? why did you switch to Naim? Did things improve any with the 82 relative to the 102?

I started with the 102/180 combo and found it exciting but unrelenting thus fatiguing for me. I haven’t heard nearly has much Naim kit is others here, but reputationally the 102/180 combo seems to be at the relentless end of the spectrum. I tried power supplies but that added more of the same. Everything was unserviced which may have played a role. I moved to a 32.5 with RSL cards and a serviced 110. For me this is much improved.

i would think carefully about investing in new speakers before considering whether you really like the Naim sound - or at least the Olive version. If sticking with Naim, perhaps the “Classic” series might work better.

See if you can find a pair of Ruark Templar, a wonderful little floorstander, that's small in size, but big in performance. Ruark really did make lovely speakers.

advertisement

Back