advertisement

Speakers for Naim Supernait 3 (again)

I must keep on trying (without losing money) to find a more affordable speaker that reminds you of your beloved ATC…
On of my favorite brands is Totem, and they are known to match very well with Naim gear.

I have 122x/Fc2x/150x with Totem Model 1 and am very happy.
Oh, I am glad that they are not razor sharp, as I like a detailed but sweet treble.

Maybe try Elac Vela series. The ribbon ain’t like a lot of others. Airy, detailed but zero harshness.

Hi
Have the usual suspects - LP1/Superline, CDX2 and the Supernait3 - HiCap.
Used to be happy to own the ATC SCM40, but after a couple of years I find my self playing less music..
(Back then I had the 252/300)

Sold the ATC, bought GoldenEar BRX (nice reviews..)
Sold the GoldenEar (didnt like the ribbon tweeter sound)
Bought a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 50 (Good speakers, eh but the supension didnt act the same of both speakers, had to return then, it was a battle to pack, heavy, the piano lacker did scratch for nothing.)
Didnt get the second pair.
Bought the Wharfdale Linton (nice reviews...)
Was quite happy, but of course theyre not "razorsharp" -
At the same time - i find the Spendor A7 used in a dealershop.
Had to try them.
Long story short (just kiddin) - they outclassed the Wharfies... BUT the had minor issues - a little to warm, not enought air in the tweeter..
Sent it back.
But I cant quite forget them.
But the arent quite good enough .

On the used market I now have access to the Spendor A7, the D7 and the D7.2
Substancial difference in price - but is the difference in quality as big?

To make things even worse - a pair of ATC SCM7l is on its way - just to check if I still love the ATC sound.

Any thoughts?

If you can collect from west Sussex I can lend/sell you some spendor A6

Providing you don’t want to go super loud, don’t have a massive room and can place them properly, ProAc floorstanders would be my recommendation. My 2.5s are great at delivering the music and making it enjoyable without being too coloured.

The Spendor models you have listed may be similar too but don’t know those particular ones.

There are some extremely competitively priced PMC 25.23s in the classifieds here that worked superbly with a SN2 for me.

And yes, I have every conection with the seller....

Hi
Have the usual suspects - LP1/Superline, CDX2 and the Supernait3 - HiCap.
Used to be happy to own the ATC SCM40, but after a couple of years I find my self playing less music..
(Back then I had the 252/300)

Sold the ATC, bought GoldenEar BRX (nice reviews..)
Sold the GoldenEar (didnt like the ribbon tweeter sound)
Bought a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 50 (Good speakers, eh but the supension didnt act the same of both speakers, had to return then, it was a battle to pack, heavy, the piano lacker did scratch for nothing.)
Didnt get the second pair.
Bought the Wharfdale Linton (nice reviews...)
Was quite happy, but of course theyre not "razorsharp" -
At the same time - i find the Spendor A7 used in a dealershop.
Had to try them.
Long story short (just kiddin) - they outclassed the Wharfies... BUT the had minor issues - a little to warm, not enought air in the tweeter..
Sent it back.
But I cant quite forget them.
But the arent quite good enough .

On the used market I now have access to the Spendor A7, the D7 and the D7.2
Substancial difference in price - but is the difference in quality as big?

To make things even worse - a pair of ATC SCM7l is on its way - just to check if I still love the ATC sound.

Any thoughts?

How much free space around the speakers have you got, and what is on the floor?

I have ProAc D20r's and recently tried ATC SCM 40's and decided to keep the ProAc's ...... both amazing speakers.

The ATC's possibly a fraction more seperation and "brighter" .... the ProAc's are warmer and dig deeper.

I worried about the ribbon tweeter on the ProAc's as I don't like bright but they're not at all, I play quite a bit of Genesis / Chris de Burgh era which can be very harsh on the vocals and chose the ProAcs over a number of other speakers as they took "the edge" off and probably why I decided to keep them instead of the ATC's.

I have ProAc D20r's and recently tried ATC SCM 40's and decided to keep the ProAc's ...... both amazing speakers.

The ATC's possibly a fraction more seperation and "brighter" .... the ProAc's are warmer and dig deeper.

I worried about the ribbon tweeter on the ProAc's as I don't like bright but they're not at all, I play quite a bit of Genesis / Chris de Burgh era which can be very harsh on the vocals and chose the ProAcs over a number of other speakers as they took "the edge" off and probably why I decided to keep them instead of the ATC's.

The D20R is known for having a bit of a 'dark' presentation, so should be good with Naim and be very musical with it.

Good luck.:)

Another vote for Spendor D7.2
I auditioned many speakers prior to purchase and in my system/room they were easily the best – detailed, dynamic, etc and easy to drive. Superb speakers.

I heard many times similar amps with the Proac Response D2 in a smaller room and always been very impressed so I'm not surprised of what you say about their floor standers version.

Proac are not at all like ATC. I find them more natural, but they need space. The Spendor D7.2 are more detailed but softer dynamically. Their ace though is their bass, it is powerful but does not boom even in smaller rooms, unlike the D20R (in my case, other rooms may differ). I would take the D20R if the bass was not an issue.

Just noticed cinehome has a lovely pair of 804d3 in rosenut , these are superb speakers and at 3.5k would sound divine with the sn3 .thats a great price

It would be Neat or Kudos for me.

Agree with Ponty, as above.

But you have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to speaker choice for an SN. My personal experience is with SN1 and SN2, as well as Nait XS2.

Neat and Kudos have great synergy with those Naim integrateds; I loved an earlier Kudos Cardea 1, and have kept my Neat Momentum SX3i. If you might consider used speakers, the now discontinued SX3i would be a great buy and a great match.

Other offerings from PMC and Proac would be fine if their sound signature is to your taste, likewise, for the BBC influenced Spendor Classic line, Graham LS5/9 and Harbeth Monitor 30.1, for example - I only mention these because I have heard great things with these models, paired with the SN2 and/or Nait SX2.

Kudos, Neat, Proac; more verve, compared to BBC style. A matter of taste, and musical choice…

Other posters have named entirely different speaker lines that I’ve never personally heard, but have heard good things about, such as Fyne and Living Voice; would love to hear those with an SN3 - no reason to doubt a good partnership.

Hard to go wrong, unless the speakers you choose are otherwise unsuitable to your room, or musical taste, or have exceptionally high power requirements…

I’ve always found nice low-sensitivity LS3/5a derivatives to work really well with the ‘oomph’ provided by Supernaits. Harbeth PS3’s, Spendor S3/5’s, Falcons, ATC 7’s…all those ‘infinite-baffle’ types; that Naim grunt, really gets them moving! Also, a welcome bonus is you get a much nicer, wider attenuation range from the volume pot when 83db speakers get hooked up. Match made in heaven, I found.

Just wondered why you parted with 252/300 combo when they sounded good with Atc,s ? What did the supernait give extra ? Asking because I’m curious about both combos for future purchases

advertisement

Back