advertisement

Speakers for low volume listening

The thing is, the amplification also plays a part in low level listening, not just the speakers.

I have had quite a few amps running into my PMC Twenty5 21’is and some just couldn’t do it, especially my Naim Supernait2 and later on, 282/250dr, I just felt I had to turn it up louder to here any proper detail. My Hegel H590 wasn’t too bad but the midrange/vocals always felt very recessed but to be honest, it sounded like that turned up too. My Rega Osiris is the best by far for low level listening, I can listen low, late into the early hours of the morning sometimes and never wake anyone up in the house yet I’m satisfied with what I’m hearing. I can’t do headphones so this is something that I have to factor in when buying Hi-Fi.

The thing is, the amplification also plays a part in low level listening, not just the speakers.

I have had quite a few amps running into my PMC Twenty5 21’is and some just couldn’t do it, especially my Naim Supernait2 and later on, 282/250dr, I just felt I had to turn it up louder to here any proper detail. My Hegel H590 wasn’t too bad but the midrange/vocals always felt very recessed but to be honest, it sounded like that turned up too. My Rega Osiris is the best by far for low level listening, I can listen low, late into the early hours of the morning sometimes and never wake anyone up in the house yet I’m satisfied with what I’m hearing. I can’t do headphones so this is something that I have to factor in when buying Hi-Fi.

Funny, I went the other way round with the siblings to those from Aethos to H390 and low level performance improved (more weight and scale at lower vol). Someone please explain :D I guess a synergy thing going on?

Always wanted to hear the Osiris, the Aethos was awesome.

I think I saw some Shahinian Compasses for sale in the classifieds, I would recommend these. Mine sound great at low level listening levels, due to attached house, but really come to life turned up too!

Based on good experience with Shahinian Super Elfs (which if memory serves were designed for tone/dynamics at quiet levels), +1 for this suggestion.

Funny, I went the other way round with the siblings to those from Aethos to H390 and low level performance improved (more weight and scale at lower vol). Someone please explain :D I guess a synergy thing going on?

Always wanted to hear the Osiris, the Aethos was awesome.
I’ve heard Aethos too, the Aethos is different sound to the Osiris.

Wow fab , let us know more thoughts when you get a chance

I don’t want to get too effusive, but these are, for me, in my 15 x 18 room, as close to perfect as I have ever got. They pack a bunch, but I get no boom. They hit deeper bass notes than my Proac D18s. They uncover detail in a lovely natural unforced manner. There is no sense of physical speakers, just sound, with solid central image, and with depth and width where present in the recording. The treble is very, very refined.

If I get through the next few days past that initial new gear excitement and still think the same, I will certainly be placing an order.

The value for money is off the charts, to be frank.

They might not be for those who crave a very forward, crispy sort of sound, but so far everyone who has heard them has been left a bit open mouthed.

The closest I have heard to this is the Proac K1, but they are a bit too large for my room.

Lovely speakers those SF's. I would love to have a pair of Concerto's again

I still have a pair of Concertinos in pristine shape, bought new in 1996. Will probably never sell them. In Asia these little speakers were known as "songbirds" and I couldn't agree more. Franco Serblin was still at SF back then. They are witnesses to audio history now.

advertisement

Back