advertisement

Speakers for low volume listening

I think I saw some Shahinian Compasses for sale in the classifieds, I would recommend these. Mine sound great at low level listening levels, due to attached house, but really come to life turned up too!

Not to be flippant but can you raise the bass and the treble at low volume to balance the mids? It's to do with the way our ears respond that requires an inverse - a bit like a "loudness" button.
“Mid-tier” (e.g. A-Sxxx) Yamaha amplifiers have long had a variable loudness control that works very well - hugely better than the simple on-off switches you used to see in Japanese amplifiers. They also have excellent bass & treble controls with narrow bands (well my early 90s model does anyway).

Hello
can anyone recommend small floorstanders or large bookshelves (but not wide ones) suitable for low volume listening, such that the soundstage still opens up and there is a good drive to the music at low volumes.
thanks
Totem Arro are great for this - incredibly compact, easy to drive: scale really well, within their modest envelope: they are basically designed to sound best at 'Study-bedroom ' levels, and cannot, will.not re-arrange the furniture. I like a lot.

...inviting comment from my bro who has had a pair for ~ decade+ for such reasons, @Mark Packer

Hello
can anyone recommend small floorstanders or large bookshelves (but not wide ones) suitable for low volume listening, such that the soundstage still opens up and there is a good drive to the music at low volumes.
thanks
Denton 80th (not 85th).

They do everything you've just asked for and cost around £300.

I listen mostly at low to medium volume.
I went through loads of speakers and finally settled with the Falcon Acoustics Q7s.
Driven by a Quad 303 or a Rega IO, they sound fulesom even at low volume.
However, the Nait 2 couldn't drive them.
Go figure

These are great for low volume but with a clear and full sound.

The best low-volume listening I have ever been able to conjure, was with single-driver speakers.

I believe the absence of the crossover makes all the difference.

If I ONLY listened at low volumes, I'd revert to a single-driver design, in a heartbeat.

That said, if single-driver loudspeakers don't appeal, perhaps the OP should have a look at speakers with a simple 1st order crossover?

Like one lone capacitor for the tweeter - in designs like REFERENCE3A DaCapo...

decapo-II-01.jpg

or EPOS ES14...

BD3655-B1-7619-43-FE-B6-F5-BBA5702-CAD25.jpg

I have got a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino Home in my office and they are pretty good at low level listening.

I have Totem Sttaf in the office. They sound great at low volumes. Not least since I added a sub, which provides the lowest frequencies allowing the Sttaf to the high and mid range.

TBH the bass on the Sttaf is amazing for their diminutive dimensions. In many ways I think the Arro are even better. I was looking for Arros and the Sttaf came up locally at a great price. What’s a guy to do?

The best low-volume listening I have ever been able to conjure, was with single-driver speakers.

I believe the absence of the crossover makes all the difference.

If I ONLY listened at low volumes, I'd revert to a single-driver design, in a heartbeat.

Agreed. I have 2 pairs of Mark Audio Sota single driver speakers in rooms mainly used for low level listening. They work exceptionally well.

I have RFC Rubato on demo and the moment. They would perfectly fit the bill, work great across all levels, much preferred over the Dynaudio Special 40s or Proac D2R that I also had in for demo. Lots of other good suggestions above.
Wow fab , let us know more thoughts when you get a chance

advertisement

Back