advertisement

Speakers for larger living room

Or even, the OP returning to his own thread to help us, otherwise it's just another 'what I like most' thread.

You're right, I should perhaps have mentioned more info on my current situation in the original post. Our room is pretty much rectangular, and measuring approximaty 10 x 5 meters since the renovation . It is a combined living/ dining room. The listening area is located on one side off the room, with the loudspeakers against the longest wall, opposite our couch. Right speaker is about 1,5 meters from the side wall, which is almost completely made of glass (sliding doors). Left loudspeaker is placed approximately 3 meters from the right speaker, and doesn't have any side walls.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far! I'm afraid some of the speakers mentioned are (way) above budget, but others might just about fit...budget is around 1500 / 1700 euros

We've recently extended our living room. We really love the extra space, but I can't get my current loudspeakers to sound right, no matter how I position them. Especially on lower listening volume, the sound is very thin and lacking bottom end with either Royd Minstrels or ARS Acoustica Celera standmounts. Really hope things will improve after the curtains are placed.

I would like to keep using my current speakers. but open to hear some suggestions for loudspeakers which are perhaps more capable of working in a large living room.

A pair of subs to complement your current speakers is an easy option.

Alternatively you'll need to get bigger speakers.

budget is around 1500 / 1700 euros
Elipson Heritage XLS 15
Elipson Heritage XLS 15 Speaker Review | AVForums
Matching 400w amps
Elipson P1F Preamp & A2700 Power Amplifier Review | StereoNET United Kingdom

elipson-Heritage-XLS15.jpg

My experience.
If you want everyone in the room listening to music, BBC speakers like the Harbeth SHL 5plus, or the Graham ls6 will never do it. I tried these Harbeths in my living room, which is about the size of your room and it didn't work. I recommend the horn speakers for you. The horns allow you to deliver sound further than normal drivers because of the directivity. This is what you need in a large room.
There's a wide range to choose from. I can recommend the Klipsch Cornwall, the JBL s4700 and the Volti Rivals.
It's a question of money.

I have the listening position setup moderately close but these are in a fairly large open floor plan home. Much of the time I listening from an adjacent room sitting at a kitchen table. They fill up the home quite well and feel more bullet proof than the Quads that preceded them.

3czeycH.jpeg

A big pair of floorstanders with plenty of drivers ideally; my Celestion A3s produced enormous amounts of sound (and prodigious bass), as do the Kef Reference 3.2s that ousted them!

I have a thing for big speakers, even though my room probably doesn't do them enough justice... :D

That’s a big space.
I don’t think that Horns, Tannoys, Klipsh etc are available in budget unless old and battered:) You could make some kits, like transmission lines for example, or DIY some cabinets for 12” Tannoys in that budget, but new?

Totem Forests. But you’ll need to be quick if you want the set available on that well-known auction site. Ends in 10 mins.

Totem Forests. But you’ll need to be quick if you want the set available on that well-known auction site. Ends in 10 mins.

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately no international shipping according to item description...well worth investigating the Forests, though. They show up on the secondhand market over here in The Netherlands every now and then.

Like your minstrels but want to fill a bit more space .
Royd Doublets. Minstrels big brother. Sound larger. More bass. More power handling. Will fill a larger space.

Like your minstrels but want to fill a bit more space .
Royd Doublets. Minstrels big brother. Sound larger. More bass. More power handling. Will fill a larger space.
Thanks for that. I have heard Doublets in the past, very impressive. They seem to be quite rare, though.

advertisement

Back