advertisement

speakers for A&R A60 amp

1000RPM

pfm Member
what's a good pair of old speakers to partner with an A60 amp? Use ES11s at the moment, which possible ask too much of the little fella.

Room is approx 4 x 5 m. Don't need big volume, just nice clear full delivery.

A mate of mine uses an A60 with a pair of mission 760i's, which sound great. I would have thought that Mordaunt Short MS10's may work well, too. Bass from both may be a bit thin, but you could get either for £30-£50 a pair off fleabay and neither are a demanding load.

I'm not a fan of the Mission sound tbh but having owned AR18s many years ago I have very fond memories. Open clear sound and they responded well to improved electronics as funds permitted.

In the dim and distant past I've heard IPL transmission line speakers recommended for use with the A60.

This is probably irrelevant, but at this moment I am using a beautiful pair of vintage Rosewood DM1's with a late A60. The sound is surprisingly good. I think DM1's came out in 1968. That is even more amazing.

Everything is there in the sound, except the very low bass and one could not really expect much that for such a small speaker that has good efficiency.

The tweeters and supertweeters are identical to that in the Spendor BC1 (Celestion HF1300 and Coles 4001G).

Just reinvigorating one of my old threads as I'm back in the hunt for speakers to partner with my A60...all suggestions welcome!

If you like warm and rich, don't laugh, but I really liked Linn Index speakers with my A60 in a kitchen system. Certainly not the last word in accuracy though :)

Richard

The A60 will drive just about anything you care to put on the end of it, just not to party levels. We know it can manage Isobariks 'cos they once did a show using them. Saras might be questionable. I don't think it's thin on the bass. It may not have the world's greatest grip and slam but it goes deep enough.

If you can find out if it will do Saras, that would be my choice - and you'll get a little bit of extra volume. Ultimately the AR18s and the MS10s aren't really that great a speaker, though they were fantastic for the £100 or £120 you paid for them. Slightly depending on what you listen to, another speaker that I'd suggest is the old KEF 104. It's a bit big but it's surprising good with a T27, B200 and a B139 passive radiator. Very easy to get along with and it will be dirt cheap. For more volume still the newer 104s could be a possibility. They have a ruler flat impedance curve, so no problems on driving, and I would guess are also a bargain these days. (£107 for 104s and £285 for a rosewood pair of 104.2s on ePay completed listings).

yes the amp was designed using Spendor BC1's. I used mine to drive B & W DM4's (which used the same tweeter and super tweeter found in incarnations of the BC1 -Kef and coles items) but I also latterly (before selling the amp) used the amp to drive Kef Q35's. As above, probably will drive almost anything if high volume is not a neccessity, but certainly speakers from B & W, Spendor or Kef...

No way will it do justice to Saras.

The A60 was a modest amp so it needs modest speakers. I'd be surprised if you get much better sound than the Epos. They are decent enough. I liked AR18s but they will be brighter i think than Epos. My unle when he had his Rega3, A60 set up in its day had Mordaunt Short Pageants on the end. A very nice sound.

Thanks all - interesting suggestions as ever. I would have pressed my ES11s back into service if I hadn't just sold 'em!

Currently have the ES14s hooked up,which are making very rich sounds with the A60. Don't think that's a long-term option, so plan to investigate Kef, Spendor, Epos, MS

A60 sounds more powerful that it is, mostly because it has good peak power ability.
However it doesn't like running hard continuously and certainly not into low loads (<=4Ohm).
The power supply is very substantial for a 35w amp so all seems well at first listen, but the heatsink is very small and will quickly get too hot, so best avoid difficult loads and heavy continuous drive.

advertisement

Back