advertisement

Speakers close to wall suggestions - largish room

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Hi, we are soon changing the arrangement in our lounge. The room is largish being 6×4m but with a large 4x1m bay window on the long side. Room is also 3.2m height.

My current arrangement has a pair of Harbeth SHL5+ either side of the fireplace on the 4m wall. They drive the room really nicely but they won't work as well when they are moved against the 6m wall, as they won't have as much space behind them. So I am looking for speakers which can fill the room and work relatively close to the wall - ideally 30ish cm out.

My amp is an exposure 3010s2d.

Here is the list so far:

Neat Xplorer
Neat Elite Classic
PMC 23 (not sure if these are large enough)
PMC 24
Totem twin Bisons (again, these may be too small)
B&W 704 s3

Any others folk would recommend? Looking to buy second hand but would spend the money on new speakers if they were the right option and worth the spend.

To note my very nice Harbeth with stands are available for sale in the classifieds but would consider swapping for something which would work in the room.

Many thanks

You probably should not move the speakers against the long wall, it may appear that you will lose performance whatever brand you choose

You probably should not move the speakers against the long wall, it may appear that you will lose performance whatever brand you choose
I'd naturally go along with this. As one needs the seating position to be away from a wall (pref. 1.5' min.), that really reduces the space for a speaker to create a good soundstage. Another point i.m.o., is that spkrs away from walls ( and esp. front/rear ported ones) do that soundstaging/imaging thing far better. In a 6 x 4 m room (not large at all in my book but nicely rectangular with important bay) your seating position would ideally be in front of the bay, giving that rear space and isosceles triangle rather than equilateral, unless you like near field listening in which case try cans :D .

Audio note/snell E and J perhaps?
Or Proac response with the down firing bass port.

While I had Klipsch in my audio life, and I like them, I wouldn’t recommend Fortes if close to wall due to the passive radiator on the back.

My ae509 are fairly close to but not hard against the rear wall and are happy there. About 20cm away,so not much different really than some of the larger speakers suggested here.

Why not wait and try the Harbeth's on the long wall first of all. I have the same speakers as you and they are no more than 30cm from the wall and toed in somewhat. They sound fine to me and I have no plans to change them. Mine are on the long wall of a lounge diner circa 3metres apart, the lounge part is circa 5 metres by 5 metres and they fire across the room.

advertisement

Back