advertisement

Speakers and Power Amp

Paulq2

pfm Member
Am thinking about building a more traditional spare system in a spare room (any excuse). I need a power amp and have been looking at Spendor speakers out of curiosity as I've heard a lot about them but I'd also consider others. As I know nothing about them are there any particular models I should look for 2nd hand and what power amp would you pick to drive them?

I want the speakers to be revealing/detailed but also to have enough bottom end as they'll be used fora variety of music but must have enough scale for rock.

Overall budget is £1500. Thanks folks.

Spendor speakers are usually on the polite side IME, not my choice for rock mainly

I use a quad 303 with some old Spendor bookshelfs in a library
Allmost exclusive for small scale chamber music, string quartets etc which is beautifull

Don't know much about Spendors but for a power amp in a small to medium size room you won't go far wrong with a Quad 306. You can pick up a good one off Ebay for c£250, leave you plenty of money for speakers. I'm currently using mine in my main system while awaiting replacement Exposure amp, sounds superb driving Amphion Argon 3S speakers.

Thanks both. The consensus seems to be that Spendors may not be a great option. I am curious about the Amphions and have just read a very quick review of them. A lot of people I know who went to a recent HiFi show were raving about them so they may be worth a look.

The setup I am considering will be a system in its own right but from time to time I may hook it into my main setup where I use a Linn ADSM with a set of active speakers. When I fancy a change I may swap out the actives and plug in the (this) power amp and passive speakers just for a change, hence the reason it has to sound right in its initial configuration.

The Amphions work brilliantly in my room with my current set up, having the passive bass radiators means they can be placed closer to the back wall than rear ported bass reflex speakers which is important for me (they are currently 200mm away from the back wall but are fine even closer than that). I listen to a wide range of music inc rock, folk, jazz, electronica & classical, the Amphions sound great whatever you play.
If your anywhere nr the Midlands you should talk to Dave Faulkner at the LittleAudio co in Birmingham, he let me home demo his demonstration pair over a few days, then after I ordered a pair told me to keep hold of the demo pair until mine arrived.

advertisement

Back