advertisement

Speaker wood Q..

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
Hi- Im after some info on real wood vennering ..or some decent vinyl woody like stuff for my old Heybrooks..anyone know if its poss to buy? Also if I were to ideally get some thin wood ie .8mm or such like will it alter the sound? any help welcome cheers capt.

Go to your nearest wood yard and ask them where to get the veneer. The Vinyl you could try a diy shop, if not have a search on the web. Jim.

Hi, i'm no expert, but I just veneered my IPL s3 speaker kit using iron-on mahogany veneer that IPL also sell. It was easy to do, just cut it slightly oversize, iron it on using a normal clothes iron, and press it down using a piece of wood or similar while the adhesive cools. Takes a few seconds. Trim the edges with a craft knife, then sand 'em smooth. For finishing I used 3 coats of danish oil and a polish with beeswax.
http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/cabinet_accessories.htm

My digital camera is playing up at the moment, i'll try and take a picture or two tomorrow, but I am pleased with the result, I think they look great ( but I would say that, they are my babies) =)

edit:
here is a pic..i hope

my.php

Apologies for the quality, and the camera flash makes them look lighter coloured than in natural light.

Very small image, but they look terrific- is that pine finish? I presume you stuck them onto bare mdf..Im a little uncertain applying to plastic venner finish that I simply cant fathom to remove first. Cheers for info tho Im off to order some now.

Thanks=)
Not pine, mahogany... they really are darker in natural light. Clicking on the picture should enlarge it to 1152x864 pixels
Yup, the veneer is glued onto bare mdf. The sides came pre-veneered, I did the front and back panels.
I dont know the best way to remove the plastic (vinyl wrap?), but I think you will need to, I can't see the veneer sticking to plastic very well.

Dik- looks like youve done a fine job there..Ive looked at the IPL site and their mahogany looks so different to yrs Im not sure which to plump for..the wilmslow mahog looks completely different too..were you satisfied with IPL's site etc?

Cheers to all for most helpful info. Capt

Capt'n,

I think Dik used Sapele, which is a specie of Mahogany. Here are an example of my design in solid Sapele timber.

James

2949423-md.jpg

I used the mahogany veneer as suplied by IPL, the 3 coats of danish oil bring out the richer colour with golden reflections, that alter as the light catches em at different angles.. looks nice, I think=)
I have always had great service from IPL, over many years...Ivan Leslie is a true gent, and allways helpful.
James your speakers really do look beautiful, very very nice job, sir.

Gawd those speakers of James' look fabulous. Id have to build an extension me..
Dik-Ive plumped for the teak venner from IPL from yr recomendation- can you say hows best to apply ie do you need a real hot iron direct to wood, or a towel between or something? Any hints be helpful,capt.

I used an iron set on "cotton"..which is hot,I think=), applied it directly onto the veneer..started at one edge moving fairly slowly, with a small block of wood in the other hand, to follow the iron and press the veneer down. It sticks almost instantly, just use the wood block to press and hold while it cools. If you make a mistake in postitioning etc, just reheat, and the glue softens again, allowing you to move it=)
The panels I veneered were slightly narrower than the width of the roll of veneer, so I didnt have to join any pieces, just lay it flat, trim slightly over length, and iron on.
The veneer came with some instructions printed on the back on a label..that I found after I had finished.typical=)
After 24 hours or so, re-check for any bubbles that might have popped up..just iron em flat again.
As I said i'm no expert.This was my first try at veneering and it worked out fine........ but I didnt have to join pieces to get the width etc, which *might* be tricky..hopefully someone that knows might chime in and help=)

Thanks Dik for all info on veneering (& others). Im awaiting my IPL roll now and hopefully my old 'caravan cupboard' speakers will look great again! Regards Capt.

advertisement

Back