advertisement

Speaker type poll..

Which of the following type are your speakers

• Total voters

Rug Doc

pfm Member
Another thread questioning why few modern speaker designs are sealed piqued my interest…

Would be curious to know what the popular choices might be..

This is difficult because I use a few different types very regularly. It might be worth making this poll multiple choice, many of us have several speakers.

My “main” system has Linn Ninkas (sealed floor standers).

My second system has Naim Intros (upgraded to Credo 2 spec), these are neither sealed, nor ported in the traditional sense, they’re separate boxes with a gap between the top and bottom sections which is the “port”.

My office system has Royd Sapphires (ported stand mount with no hint of port resonance)

My bedroom system has Linn Katans (as the Sapphire, ported with no hint of port resonance, more bass than the Sapphires though).

I’ve voted sealed stand-mounts as I’ve three pairs (JR149, LS3/5A, Spendor S3/5R) and the Lockwoods are their own thing really being an internally damped variation on aperiodic loading. Certainly not ported in the conventional tuned sense, and obviously not sealed either.

PS Since editing the poll I’ve gone with ‘Horn’ as well as Tannoys are at least from the mid up.

I’ve set the options to ‘unlimited’ so folk with multiple types can choose more than one.

Edit, I can actually add more options than I thought, so I have!

A mod added ‘other’

I have added TL. Now the PMC/Impulse/TDL owners can find a home.

Cheers Tony.

If others want to add in a different type, do so in text and it’ll be added by someone if needs be.

For me : ported bookshelf and floor standers all the way with small and "fast" woofers driven by a "high" current/punchy amplifier and a vibration free cabinet.
Music without bass notes : sealed bookshelf such as LS 3/5A and the likes.

I guess my Isobariks are sealed floorstanders even though they're on (very) short stands. I lusted after them after hearing a pair driven actively at Naim Audio many years ago. Finally able to buy them 35/6 years ago, sadly have neither the room nor the £££ for enough black boxes to activate them but they sound great driven by a pair of 135s. I've heard modern competitors that are damn fine but not good enough for me to make the serious sacrifices to replace them.

I had sealed standmounts for 20 years, before that electrostatics.

I have had ported standmounts for the last eight years and for classical/jazz prefer them to the sealed standmounts. I have very little music with electronic bass, so the midrange becomes more important. Both standmounts have/had eight inch woofers and metal dome tweeters.

One pair of sealed standmounts (with subwoofer), one pair of ported floorstanders. But may be moving to a smaller place, and will have to decide which pair to keep.

ATC SCM100ASL ported, Tannoy 12" Lancaster(R),Devon, Tannoy i12 ported, JBL 4726a ported, JBL 12" Array ported. All have very tight tuneful bass. They range from effectively sealed dry behaviour in the case of the ATC to warm and chubby but very musical Devon's.

Horn speakers are generaly horny only from the mid-bass up at best, so they're either ported or sealed.
The same is probably too for most omnis.
Panel speakers are (all, to the best of my knowledge) open-baffle. Some have a bass module which can be open-baffle, ported or sealed.

I selected horn. I think my speakers are horn-loaded from top to bottom.

Joe

Horn speakers are generaly horny only from the mid-bass up at best, so they're either ported or sealed.

Not necessarily, there are many which are fully horn loaded e.g. Khorns, La Scalas, Avant Garde etc. Plus back-horn loading counts too e.g. anything from Tannoy GRFs through to endless Lowther variants. For me the things horns to so stunningly well is from the mid up where the low distortion and high-directivity of the drivers become more obvious. That said proper front-horn-loaded bass is just astonishing. The problems are size and cost.

Tony,

That said proper front-horn-loaded bass is just astonishing. The problems are size and cost.

I’ll say. The one time I heard Klipschorns I was blown away by their dynamics, but even those speakers aren’t full range. Full-range horn-loaded speakers are truly ginormous.

Joe

advertisement

Back