advertisement

Speaker stands for Rega RS1

Conan

Loop digger
I am thinking of buying these speakers to put together with my Brio R.
Since the tweeter is located below the woofer, which speaker stands would be recommended?
My room is 4m x 4m.

Why not get the RS3's instead-smallish standmounts with a footprint that will be probably the same or smaller size than your proposed stands, plus you get a fuller sound due to the increased bass capability, which I find work well in a smaller room (experiment with firing the side driver inwards or outwards to customise the bass and imaging) These can be had as cheaper 'cabinet seconds' from some suppliers, and will then be around the price of new RS1's...

Why not get the RS3's instead-smallish standmounts with a footprint that will be probably the same or smaller size than your proposed stands, plus you get a fuller sound due to the increased bass capability, which I find work well in a smaller room (experiment with firing the side driver inwards or outwards to customise the bass and imaging) These can be had as cheaper 'cabinet seconds' from some suppliers, and will then be around the price of new RS1's...
I got them through a swap. I already have some floorstandes at home. the RS3 are without a doubt very tempting but I really like monitors

The Rega wall mounts for the speakers are so designed that the speaker's rear side is right against the wall (which for my purposes was not usable). I spoke to Rega about it, and they said the speaker was designed to be used against the wall, hence the design of the wall-mount. I wonder how good they will sound on mounts...
I used these to mount them to the wall, though I screwed a piece of wood into the back of the speaker, as Rega advised drilling no deeper than .5cm into the back of the speaker (I then attached the wall mounts to the wood):
http://www.thomann.de/de/adam_hall_spsg3b.htm

correction to my posting- meant to say that the RS3's are smallish floorstanders (of course) not standmounts! the RS1's are the standmounts, or wall fixables with the Rega brackets (other brackets are available!)

Partington Dreadnought Broadside stands at 600mm height suit the RS1s just fine.
Dont worry about the tweeter being too low. Infact if you go for RS3s the tweeter will be even lower.
Also with your smallish square room you MAY [personal preference, type of music etc] find you get better results with the RS1s than the RS3s.
If you do go for the RS1s something to be aware of is that i found the best result with the Partingtons by sitting the RS1s direct on the rubber plugs in the stands. Adding bluetack to give a more secure bond made the sound noticeably worse. This may not apply for a different make of stand , but still something to bare in mind and to try.

018.jpg

I've had the R1s in my prior "B" system. GREAT kit!

Quality sand-filled or lead-filled stands with blu-tack are de riguere for these speakers in my experiences.

advertisement

Back