advertisement

Speaker Stands for... a table

Fox

The sound of one hoof clopping
Looking to get something bit unusual for my (passive) Acoustic Energy AE2s I use for near field work... (And probably reuse with some Actives If I go that route)

I'm looking... for want of a better word "Speakerette Stands" for a table. And for briniging to location recordings.The speakers need raising approx 7-8 inches for correct alignment of the tweeter to a seated position and they are to sit about 2.3m apart slightly toed in, in free space to the left and right of a computer monitor. At present too much bass is being dumped into the table.

To further confuse things the AE2 are used sideways with tweeter on top and front ought to be toed up slightly by about 10° (a bit essential but some 3M feet might sort that)

Mopads too short

Most speaker Stands too tall

I think Atacama make a stand that will do me with the addition of the little machine levelling feet I like to use instead of spikes (anyone know the thread diameter?) so £100 on eBay ought to see me. I'd stuff some books under them short term but I don't have any books right now!

PS Apologies to the one curmudgeon here who thinks this is "tasteless and unnecessary", but my fripperies are intended for getting up to work on a 20 minute work I am to complete.

I am not sure if these were available in the UK, but Ikea Germany used to make speaker stands called "Kompass" which you can still find often on the second hand market. They were ideal for shahinian elfs. But although raising the speakers up about 20cm as you wish, they were also tilted back a bit.

Here's a German Ebay Link to show you more. (I am in no way connected to it).

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/707-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=170830455322

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks all. Huh. Glad I am not alone in this. I recall the old Kompass from Ikea days I vowed never ever to step inside one again... A job for Ms Fox..

Ardan look almost perfect, but super tweaky and £££ ouch... my body is not ready plus unsure if they will work with the AE2s sideways, need to check.

IsoAcoustics also work kinda but no upward toe.

Hmmm

I thought that but that's at least a 60 mile round trip for where I am located. Rather have a permanent solution that I can also bring and use in Situ. The desk I use is very portable for monitoring.

Sorry Darry was distracted as the stuff rescuerd from the house arrived and was distracted) quite right. All options gratefully received.

Dyns and Quads do stands? Cool! Will check

Lab jacks: I love it and would look at home in the studio of one Thomas Dolby!

So many cool options and yeah books are also cool ideas too...

You mean like these Desktop speaker stands?

They didn't exist, so we invented them. Little active/powered speakers like that are pretty wasted on the desktop or mixing desk unless you can get them off the resonant furniture and up at ear height.

Ding Dong! Glad I was not alone in looking for these.

Can they toe upward by approx 10°? Now my stuff is getting in situ its starting to look like I really need that.

Hang them from the ceiling...

I've a pair of AE2 Pros and they have flying hardware mountings down the side, the type you get on large hanging speaker arrays.

Ding Dong! Glad I was not alone in looking for these.

Can they toe upward by approx 10°? Now my stuff is getting in situ its starting to look like I really need that.

Piece of pie. The rubber inserts in the top and bottom plates can be deployed to tilt them up or down by several degrees. Or, either plate can be permanently fixed at any angle you like: they're custom made. Any RAL colour, too.

Dynaudio desktop stands here.
Quad equivalents here.

That's the problem we're solving: Audioengine and Adam make the same kind of wedge-thing, but there's no substitute for getting the speaker off the desk and at ear height.

How do your 'bookshelf' speakers sound sat on the floor with a wedge underneath them . . . vs mounted on a proper stand?

Quite. Anyway Mo-pad style solutions on their own won't solve mah problem which is about "stuff in the way" then the angle of the dangle.

Arvcq7zCMAE34uE.jpg:large

In my case I need to fire *over* items in front of them. Or build a rear shelf for the table with cutout for VESA arm(s) but nerdy stands do still appeal. So, low slug but raised and toed up is ideal. Adjustable a bonus for different location mix settings. Tricky situation to solve.

I have to have my kitchen speakers on my worktops. My dealer at that time (Norman who now runs UHES) suggested trying Nordost Pulsar Points under my little stands. The effect was very impressive indeed. I believe these are available second hand ... or there are probably more modern devices.

Nic P

advertisement

Back