advertisement

Speaker Repair Recommendations Please?

jimification

pfm Member
Hello, the woofer in one of our speakers seems to have gone...

The tweeter sounds like it's working ok but hard to be sure without the woofer. The woofer makes no sound at all and if I put my fingers on the cone during a double bass solo I can't feel any vibration. If I swap the speaker over the problem stays with the same speaker, so I'm presuming it's the speaker, not the amp.

The speakers are Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors (2 way standmounts). They are about 20 years old I think and I know that new woofers would be very expensive and SF might not even have any NOS of them (they are some kind of customised Scan-speak units with spiral paper cuts in the cone)

I haven't played them excessively loudly but I did lean them over whilst moving them and have read since that the wire in the voice coils can break very easily, so maybe that's the problem?

Does anyone have any recommendations of a high quality speaker repairer, please?

Also, is it safe to use them as they are? (amp is a Pathos Logos)

thanks for any advice!

I wouldn't dare using the faulty one, play some mono while trying to fix.

If its original 90/'ies Sonus Faber speakers they may be worth holding on to.(I had some very early SF stand mounts with original wooden stands, excellent mids somehow lacking bas, sold on, what a mistake, now might be worth a fortune)

If you send a few pictures, model and serial number and year of fabrication to these peoples, they will supply some replacement woofers without any problems. Better change them as a pair though :

https://solen.ca/

As noted above, you may well be able to source drive units that will fit and work, but they won't be the units used by SF. The speakers will sound different.

Have you approached th UK distributor and determined whether spares or a repair are available?

https://finesounds.uk/

I would carefully remove the faulty drive unit, take a few close up shots and then see if a repair is possible.

If you haven't removed yet then you might get lucky and find a tag has become detached!

I used Wembley Loudspeaker to fix a Epos ES14 woofer about 12 years ago.

I have every confidence that they repaired it as well as it was possible, but I suspect I should have at least had the suspension in the other woofer matched with the repaired unit at the same time, and probably both rebuilt identically, to ensure the pair were as matched as well as possible.

They are about 20 years old I think and I know that new woofers would be very expensive and SF might not even have any NOS of them (they are some kind of customised Scan-speak units with spiral paper cuts in the cone)

It looks like the woofers are standard units from the Scan Speak 'Revelator' range. So you may be able to source a replacement unit relatively easily, if required.

https://www.scan-speak.dk/product-families/revelator

If they definitely haven't been thrashed and the cone can move freely without scraping noises then it would be very worthwhile to have a good look inside and search for a wire off, dry joint etc etc

Thanks for the advice, guys. I opened them up. No loose tags, wires or anything that looked amiss. Everything is soldered and there's not much to come loose in there.

I desoldered the leads to the woofer and applied some music / speaker leads to it - no sound. Putting a multimeter across the two terminals gives an extremely high resistance so I presume there's probably a break in the voice coil wire somewhere?

Laughinboy: Thanks, I think you're right. I've read that they are not a standard version but tweaked for SF. I will enquire with finesounds.

Thanks again.

IMG_3262-X4.jpg

IMG_5380-X4.jpg

IMG_5015-X3.jpg

advertisement

Back