advertisement

Speaker purchase advice

RobJ

pfm Member
Hi All

I have a lowly £150 to spend on new speakers as I am finding my Beovox S45-2s a tad bright in my current set up (which was put together on a tight budget as it is). The speakers need to be on the floor (the S45s are on those "audiophile" foam pad things which has actually improved the sound, but it's still bright). I really need clear, tight bass but with depth (I'm a bass player, so a tad fussy).

I have 401 with A&R A60 (OL modded RB300/Ortofon 2m Red), a small lounge so the speakers sit around 9ft apart and the listening seat (the couch!) is about 9 ft away from a point between them.

Listening mainly to Jazz, the odd bit of classical but occasionally The Doors/Hendrix/Stones etc.

Had my eye set on some Ditton 44s until I realised these are nigh on double my budget on ebay these days. :(

I'm thinking there has to be something out there for £100-£150 that will beat the S45-2s (which I picker up for £24! and a drive to Birmingham from the south coast!)

Any advice on would be really appreciated.

Chrs
Rob

Hi

I have friend in Essex who is considering getting rid of Ditton 33 which would probably fit your budget.

Let me know if you are interested and I will send you his details.

Regards

Jon

Thanks chaps, something to go on. I'd not heard of the ditton 33's and can find scant information on the web about them. Any thoughts on these? epay has a set at the moment for £75 buy it now (but the tweeters are indented) and a set with stands which is appealing, but why the cheaper price? is it just due to the size of them?

thoughts appreciated.

Chrs
Rob

My brother runs a pair of Mission 770s from an A60. Though not the last word in resolution I (long term amateur bassist) can follow the bass lines on his system ok and I like the overall presentation. Mind you I've always liked 770s in the various iterations.

I've heard that the Mission 780 Argonaut's have still better bass.

I have heard said that the S series B&O speakers are good quality units. If you generally like them but require more bass, then a subwoofer could be your answer? Rel Q150 or suchlike?

That's an interesting point Steve and one to consider.

I am really torn on this which is no bad thing but just goes to show how hard it is to chose speakers without demoing a load.

- The S-45s are really detailed and clear, but they are too bright for me and can become tiring in the top end.

- I've been offered some Musical Fidelity MC4s (Mk2s) by a very nice chap on this forum, but I have no idea how these will fair in comparison to..

- The Celestion 33s also on offer, for less than the MC4s.

I've got to make a call between the MC4s and the Dittons.

I really like the more traditional look of the Dittons, to match the Garrard and A60, and I've always had a thing about Dittons but If the MC4 Mk2s are going to be loads better on sound quality then I'll get them and put up with the looks that are not quite to my taste.

Ideally I really want to get a warm but defined sound that does'nt split my ears on the high notes!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Chrs
Rob

advertisement

Back