advertisement

Speaker cone movement on vinyl

This one was actually a PL-112D but until recently I also had a PL-12D with the same cartridge. Both sound a lot better than you'd expect given that they were relatively budget decks in their day.
A well setup mid-fi deck can easily sound better than a badly sorted super-deck. Judging from reviews on Stereophile, some of the latter require almost continuous maintenance by skilled technicians to work right

A brief resurrection to close this off and say that the advice on sub sonic filtering was spot on.

I've just acquired a Denon PMA-850 which has a subsonic filter built in. Switch it on and the problem is gone. Not a bad phono stage either.

A brief resurrection to close this off and say that the advice on sub sonic filtering was spot on.

I've just acquired a Denon PMA-850 which has a subsonic filter built in. Switch it on and the problem is gone. Not a bad phono stage either.

Want to hear something weird?

I had a NAD integrated amp and a Parasound phono stage. I got the cone flapping you're talking about

I replace the Parasound with a Cambridge Audio phono stage with a rumble filter. Problem solved.

Then I replace the NAD and Cambridgr with a Brio-R (no rumble filter that I'm aware of?) and the problem is still gone. Nothing else changed. I don't get it

Hi there Geoff101: and good to see that you seem to have it sorted.

Want to hear something weird?

I had a NAD integrated amp and a Parasound phono stage. I got the cone flapping you're talking about

I replace the Parasound with a Cambridge Audio phono stage with a rumble filter. Problem solved.

Then I replace the NAD and Cambridgr with a Brio-R (no rumble filter that I'm aware of?) and the problem is still gone. Nothing else changed. I don't get it

Although the Brio-R doesn’t have a switch marked “rumble filter”, it looks like it still filters out subsonic “grudge” (I like that word, I hope you don’t mind if I use it too).

A good phono stage should incorporate some type of sub sonic filter so that it doesn’t pass on any sub-sonic noise generated by arm / cartridge compliance miss-match issues. It is always desirable to eliminate compliance matching issues at the source but it is not always possible to eliminate it entirely. A badly warped record can excite resonances in the best of arm/cartridge combinations.

As a side issue, historically “rumble” filters and “Sub sonic” or “warp” filters are two different types of filters. Rumble filters operate at the bottom octaves of the audible band width to filter out audible turntable rumble associated with noisy platter bearings and motor noise. A sub-sonic or warp filter operates at a much lower frequency range that is below the audible band width Its’ effect should not be audible other than eliminating the wild speaker cone movements described above.

LPSpinner

advertisement

Back