advertisement

Speaker cables & output inductors

yairf

Trade: Teddy Pardo Audio
Hi all

Has anyone here tried the output inductor (a-la NCC-200) drill with Naim power-amps? I have a good feeling this is the missing link and an opportunity for massive upgrade to the sound of the Naims.

Here is the background for why I'm asking (sorry, a bit long):

In the last couple of weeks I've given the modded 32/140 some good listening tests. With every speaker I tried, I was always delighted with the results : Naim Credo; Linn Kaber; B&W M801; Alon V (US made monsters) and coming up - Proac 3.8 and Rogers AB1+LS3/5.

I also tried some speaker cable combinations and the results are interesting:
- Naim A5 - easy on the ear, good PRAT, but little details and too "dark" sounding.
- Linn K400 - Truly amazing combination of PRAT, tune, openess and smooth flow of music - so much better than Naim's!
- Cardas - disaster! the Naims sounded like Krells! robust but very agressive, gave me a true headache. The Cardas wires worked amazingly in the line-level wiring, but failed as speaker wires.

However - with the Cardas I also noticed a whole lot of musical details and textures that I haven't heard before... if I could only alleviate the headaches...

My feeling is that the output inductors could solve the compatibility issues with so-called "Hi-Def" cables.

Am I right here?
Thanks, Yair

Yair,
Which Cardas speaker wire did you try out? I am currently trying a twisted pair of the 9.5 ga Cardas chassis wire in place of the NACA5 with some sucess. Smoother, cleaner, more articulate but with less LF punch than the NACA5-although the 200 hr break-in is not but halfway complete at this point.

Yair,
Which Cardas speaker wire did you try out?
Hi Ron
I just tried a ready-made cable - one of their commercial products.

I am currently trying a twisted pair of the 9.5 ga Cardas chassis wire in place of the NACA5 with some sucess.
I have used a thinner wire to replace the internal wiring (including ground wires in 140), as well as shielded wire (21AWG) to replace the grey mic cables in the 32 and 140. Worked a treat!

Smoother, cleaner, more articulate but with less LF punch than the NACA5-although the 200 hr break-in is not but halfway complete at this point.
But do you find it more involving than the A5?
Yair

My experience with the Cardas wires used in other applications is that they have a far greater degree of break-in related changes than ANY other wire I have ever heard. They sound incredibly dull, lifeless, bandwidth limited and completely unable to carry even the beginning of a tune during the first 12 hours. After that there is a slow dissapation of the lifelessness that eventually equals and then exceeds the other cables I've tried. And then suddenly after about 3-4 weeks there is a sudden and dramatic change that locks in with unflappable poise and great extension.

I went back and forth between the NACA5 and the 9.5AWG Cardas again last night and still found the NACA to be punchier at the bottom but quite colored elsewhere with a decidedly coarser yet superficially more exciting (?agitated) midrange and HF. The very top end of the Cardas at this point is a little too smooth, but I know there are some major changes to be effected through additional running in. I should be in a far better position to make a definitive evaluation in about a week. I'll let you know.

advertisement

Back