advertisement

Speaker Cable

palindrome

Thru a hedge, backwards and forwards.
Hi,

A question about ageing cables, for those in the know:

If you were to compare speaker cables within the same system, one that's 35 years old and another that's new (or nearly new) but of similar spec from the same manufacturer, would you expect to hear any sonic difference between the two?

Thanks.

John

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Re: connectors - assume that the connectors are the same; it's the 'performance' of the wire that I was interested in.

Like it. S'what I assumed to be the case, but it appears not everyone might share that point of view.

John

Logically, what's to change? There will be a very, very thin oxide later gradually build on the outside surface of each conductor and that is it.

Re: connectors - assume that the connectors are the same; it's the 'performance' of the wire that I was interested in.

The wire itself shouldn't change, unless it's in an environment where it corrodes badly. All of my speaker cables are decades old. I have drums of new old-stock speaker cable here that's probably forty years old. It has a transparent outer and the cable inside is still like new. When you trim it off, the cable is still shiny.

Agree with everything you're both saying. Just wanted to be sure that the Nac A4 cables I'm selling have not been compromised by age.

Thanks for your input. :)

John

If the connectors are soldered to the cable there won’t be any difference over time.
If they are crimped or tightened with a screw, there might be oxydation that will reduce the conductivity a bit over time.

I'd say it would depend on the purity of the copper or silver and material used in the connectors on the ends of the cable.

Depending on the level of oxidization to the actual wire and the connectors you could potentially hear a difference. It may not be significant but it would somehow be different.

I'd say it would depend on the purity of the copper or silver and material used in the connectors on the ends of the cable.

Can't be bothered to check but general commercial copper cable and flex is 99.99% copper, maybe 99.999%. Connectors - generally brass, plated with up to a few layers, the outer layer gold or similarly unreactive metal (palladium??? - again can't be bothered to search), all layers being exceedingly high purity.

Agree with everything you're both saying. Just wanted to be sure that the Nac A4 cables I'm selling have not been compromised by age.

Thanks for your input. :)

John
I assume the cable was robust in its original purpose as a military electrics cable so I presume it will be fine.

advertisement

Back