advertisement

Speaker cable uneven lengths

Ha, I decided to reposition my speakers. Had a couple of lengths of exposure so had 3 metres one side of Naim and one set of Naim twisted together with another 3M of Exposure with opposing directional arrows. Sounded the same. All helped my 'most of this game is w**k' 'journey'.
However being a bit OCD had to get some Van Damm equal lengths which also sound the same but I didn't have to worry about it. Sold the Naim and Exposure.

Last edited:
Depending on your amplifier, the difference in length may effect how the amp works. Personally, I still don't think you'd hear it. I've always used equal lengths though because, why not?

Depending on your amplifier, the difference in length may effect how the amp works. Personally, I still don't think you'd hear it. I've always used equal lengths though because, why not?

I have 10 feet of Wireworld cable spooled up under my hi fi rack as my rack is just to the right of my right speaker. It would be nice to get rid of that spooled up cable.

Cut one in half and join it to the other. It'll only make a difference if they're incredibly thin and your amp isn't unconditionally stable.

I use equal length speaker cables.

“For Naim amplifiers specifically, having equal cable lengths is important to ensure the same capacitance and inductance on each channel, which is part of the amplifier's stability network”

Your speaker positioning and room dynamics will have infinitely more impact on your sound quality, than unequal lengths of speaker cable.

If this were NOT true, you would have recording studios with perfectly equal lengths of cable from microphones to recording gear... They don't bother! 😂

Pick your speaker position - for best sound in the chosen room - and completely ignore the differing length of your speaker cables.

I use equal length speaker cables
Hear hear
I'd never use uneven or short speaker cable lenghts.

The fact that if I did, it would have sort of a psycological effect, I might not hear any difference, it would just be plain wrong.
The longer lenght with most Naim kit - the better.

The latest cables I purchased were 2x7M to fit any furniture/rack and speaker placement.

Another one here who has always used equal-length speaker cables. Whether it makes a noticeable difference I don't know.

^wut?!

Speed of sound, 343m/s - does not apply - and that'd be about 1sec of diff , if the other speaker was a 1000ft away. Not a problem most people have.

5m difference in cable length at speed of light = <10nS diff. Utterly imperceptible! The Haas integration time is about 30mS...
Ah. My world has just got better. Thanks for that.

Another one here who has always used equal-length speaker cables. Whether it makes a noticeable difference I don't know.
I've used both, equal short lengths, equal long lengths and unequal lengths with a variety of amplifiers(no naim) and found no difference whatsoever.

This is definitely worth a watch! Even if you think you know all there is to know about the propagation of electricity in a wire.

No great surprise. I don't claim to know everything about electricity but I am aware that transmission of waves depends upon the medium in which it travels. Sound travels faster in (most) solids than in air. Light speed in a vacuum is fixed, light speed in other materials is lower, hence how prisms and lenses work. Electricity travels at only *nominally* light speed in wires, and often significantly less, no surprise. However 2/3 of 3x10^8 m/s is still pretty quick and won't be affecting phases across channels.

Thanks for all the replies! Just bought 4,5 + 8 meters of wireworld Luna 8 cables. That should be enough, even for future moves. As I do have a Naim amp (SU) I didn’t want to have too short lengths. If I hear something wrong, I’ll come back to you 😀

advertisement

Back