advertisement

Speaker cable uneven lengths

Bas V

pfm Member
So I repositioned my hifi and my speakercables are now too short. I have 2 x 5 meters and need 1 x 2 m and 1 x 6 m. Is it necessary to go 2 x 6 m, or could one cable be shorter than that? It's really a hassle to hide the abundant cable...

Yes and Quadrophonic music TX from BBC , and at the Sound Org in York stereo from 1 speaker Ok not perfect but worked.
Try 10cc "One Night In Paris" listen for the bike.

you will be perfectly fine with different lengths. like hifinutt i have been using (high end) cables of different lengths for years with no issues.

It will work, just watch out if you have amps that are not unconditionally stable (Naim, Exposure, NVA, etc) these need 4m of cable minimum each channel to make a Thiele network and ensure stability.
Amplifiers of superior design put the Thiele Network inside the case at a cost of about 20p per channel, the amp is then unconditionally stable and you can use anything you like as speaker cable.
I did hear tell of someone using cheap cable, he hooked up 1m one side, 6m the other, the 6m side sounded poor because of a long run of bell wire. Shortened off, it was fine.

^wut?!

Speed of sound, 343m/s - does not apply - and that'd be about 1sec of diff , if the other speaker was a 1000ft away. Not a problem most people have.

5m difference in cable length at speed of light = <10nS diff. Utterly imperceptible! The Haas integration time is about 30mS...

Using odd lengths of speaker cable with an Exposure amp no problems, neither is 4M long so i guess i have no Thiele network either and an unstable system, now i am worried, i didn't realise John Farlowe, Julian Vereker and Richard Dunn were such cheapskates or that i owned an amplifier of inferior design, ah well, you live and learn.

You will be fine but just make sure the atoms and cable alignment are in the correct direction. šŸ¤Ŗ

advertisement

Back